It's been 20 days since I announced on my blog that we are officially moving. Between the time that we accepted the offer on the house all the way up to about a week and a half before we actually closed on the house, I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing. I was hardly stressed at all about it.
While we were in Seattle/Vancouver/Portland, we had the home inspection done on our house. I think we were both a bit shocked to hear the results of it. The biggest issue found was mold in the attic. Yup. Mold. The reason for the mold was the air ducts from the bathroom and the kitchen not being properly vented through the attic. Because the moist air was trapped in the attic, it caused the mold to grow. There wasn't a lot - a few spots here and there - but mold is mold.
The other concern found with the house was the roof. Come to find out there was not one layer of shingles, not two layers, but THREE layers of shingles on our roof. I suppose we have to accept blame on this one - when we bought the house, we didn't use a realtor, but we knew the roof needed to be replaced so we bought the shingles, and the current owners (who Perry knew) re-shingled it. Win-win. Sort of. What maybe they didn't realize was that there was already two layer of shingles on the roof, which is okay. Now here we are selling the house and finding out the roof needs to be re-shingled. What more could go wrong?! Ha!
Perry and I both agreed we wouldn't want to move into a house with mold in it, so we immediately decided we'd remedy the mold issue. (HUGE score - our homeowners insurance covered it, less the deductible!) Unfortunately what we realized later was if we fixed the mold, we'd have to fix the venting, and if we fixed the venting, we'd have to re-shingle the house, because the vents were roofed over. It was all or nothing, and if we didn't do any of it, we risked them backing out, and being worse off. In the repairs addendum these three things were listed, as well as a leaky faucet they wanted fixed. I probably used a few choice words before we agreed to fix the faucet. After all, we were dumping close to $8000 into the house just to sell it, and yet they couldn't cough up a few bucks to fix it themselves?
The friggen faucet was the first of the four things to be fixed. In order for them to fix it, they had to cut a hole in Ms. Gail's wall. Not a small hole mind you...
The problem we began running into was the remaining three items needed to be remedied before closing or we'd have to push the closing date back, which none of us wanted to do. Luckily things worked out and we were able to get the mold guys in to work on the attic sooner than they had planned, so they started work a week before the movers came and were supposed to be done in just a few short days. Meanwhile the vent guy came and correctly installed the necessary vents in the attic while the other guys were out for the weekend with the flu.
The weekend of the November 11th, 12th, and 13th, I had my friend Britta and her two girls come stay with us so we could see each other and get the kids together one last time before we moved. It was a long weekend with a house full of kids but we survived. That Sunday was also the day Grandma came to town with a U-Haul load of stuff Perry and I claimed from the Whitefish house a couple years ago but didn't have room for here. Things like side tables, night stands, desks, cabinets, the large dinner table Perry's grandpa built... the list goes on, but luckily Britta offered to stay to help unload everything into the garage.
While were were unloading, her daughter came running out of the house in panic because someone put too much toilet paper in the toilet and it was going to overflow. She was hysterical, but we explained it was okay and we'd fix it when we were done unloading everything. Then new-husband-John went in and used the bathroom and came out and said the toilet was working, but again we were still unloading everything, and I said I knew, but hadn't had a moment to go in to look at it. Shortly thereafter, he was stung by a wasp so I took him in to get a bandaid. Ms. Gail came inside with us and immediately had to use the bathroom too, but when she saw it was full, she flushed it. Water was going EVERYWHERE! I started hollering about the water going in the vent on the floor and scrambled to get the toilet to stop running and to clean up the mess. Excuse my language, but it was a shit-show, but without actual shit thank the Lord! Later that evening I was laying on JP's bed, exhausted and as I stared at the ceiling I saw this...
Unfortunately for Perry, he couldn't sleep at all that night knowing all the stress I was under and knowing the ceiling HAD TO BE fixed by Friday. The one neighbor who might have helped us out was out fishing for the week so Perry took it upon himself to leave work early Monday afternoon and drive home. I was relieved but at the same time I was a bit bummed. We were planning on meeting in Spokane that next weekend and surprising the kids, but with him coming home sooner, I knew the weekend was going to be cancelled.