Saturday, November 26, 2016

Our Basement is Complete - Just in Time to Sell - Update #4

If I were to guess, I would say we *finished* our basement remodel at the end of May/beginning of June. It's hard to say. I do recall painting the hallway while the twins I babysat were sleeping, or before they arrived. And I know the boys were in school still. I love love love how it turned out! I must say, Perry did a nice job picking out carpet :)
Perry did some nice work on our columns too! While the placement of them still blows, they at least look nicer :) Because we opted not to wall-in the one by the laundry room, we made the new nook into our game shelf. The bottom cubby was also helpful in storing laundry baskets. 
 Our closet was one of the last things to come together. I cursed and cursed at Perry for not lett me paint the walls first before he installed the trim for the hanging rods.
 The closet still turned out nice, even though it wasn't completely finished when we listed the house. Perry ran out of time to make the trim for the left side of the closet. Because of the ledge that runs around the perimeter of the basement, we agreed to level it off in the closet and build a dresser below it, except again, time ran out. We stored our laundry basket there and I had my extra tub of out-of-season clothes below so we never had to look at the trim-less wall.
While I was at the Dome Home this past summer, Perry took it upon himself to paint the storage room so he could install the shelves. Out of all the colors in our stash, he chose the light green that used to be in our bathroom. I didn't like it then, I still didn't like it when it reappeared in the closet. But I didn't have to worry about painting!
I added a mirror above our bed before we listed the house since we hadn't gotten around to hanging pictures. Probably a good thing! I still get annoyed looking at this picture - For whatever reason, Perry mounted the shade to the trim? Every morning the sun shown right through the little gap it created. Right into my eyes...
 Now that our room moved to the basement, Hunter had the pleasure of moving his room upstairs to the "big" room. He was thrilled because that also meant he inherited the queen size bed that JP used to have.
 The extra room was supposed to be the basement room, but because the couch couldn't fit, it had to be moved upstairs. It was handy having my sewing room within ear shot of the living room and being able to quickly see what was going on in the backyard. However, because the room was upstairs, the kids were still in and out of it. At any given time there was toys all over the couch and the floor. Ugh. But the TV in there was put to use a few times for movie night :)
Charlotte was bumped to the basement and while at first she was excited, it eventually wore off and she wanted her old room back. I can't blame her. I loved the owls and trees in her room, and the baseball wall just wasn't cutting it for her. I don't know that I ever posted an after picture of Hunter's room when I completed his baseball-theme, but we also made modifications to the closet so he could reach all his clothes. This made it extra handy when we moved Charlotte downstairs. (Hunter started using a chair when he moved upstairs.) 

Just when we finished up and were ready to really enjoy our "new" basement, it was time to sell. Bittersweet...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!