Sunday, March 11, 2018

About My New Job

January flew by and now February is long gone too. What the heck?! We're only two months into the new year and I am now THIRTY years old and recently just started on a new career path outside of the hotel world. Huge change for me! I love just knowing stuff and being valuable so starting work in a completely different industry has taken quite the toll on me.

For Christmas, I bought myself a new Bullet Journal and have been using it to track a variety of things, one being my mood. In my mood tracker for January, the entire first week was all purple, notating stress/anxiety/worry. I expected that with a new job, but oh my goodness! There is so much to learn and I feel I've only scratched the surface. My last day working the overnight shift at the hotel was on Christmas night. Honestly, I was surprised I lasted 5 months. They were kind of a blur as I was always tired. So I'm happy to report that now that I'm working during the day, I'm sleeping a lot better at night! (I had been struggling with sleep for about a year before I decided to work at night.) I'm happy my sleep patterns are much more normal now. Overall my mood tracker was mostly yellow, depicting happy/satisfied/okay for a good portion of the month so hooray for that! February was fairly similar, except for the bout of flu that hit our house during the middle of month...

Because I now work for the same company my husband does, we can't work in the same store, for HR reasons. With that said, he's worked in my store twice now since I've been there. (He's overseeing the store I work out of while the search for a new center manager continues.) The first time he was there, I had a little anxiety attack when he arrived. Watching him walk around the store and taking notes, all the while observing the staff, was a roll in which I had just envisioned him doing, and now that I was watching him do it (and observing me!) I found him to be intimidating. Yes. I found my husband to be intimidating.

A few days later, my store ran out of trash bags (how does that happen?!) so a team member had me call my husband's store to ask if they could send some over to us. I have talked to my husband an uncountable number of times on the phone, but when I had to call him at work about work, I again had a wave of anxiety wash over me. He answered the phone, and I panicked a bit, and said, "HI this is Sadie from the Cascade Park store..." I'm happy that my phone training and supply sharing rendezvous was with Perry, but at the end of the call, he added, "Now that you know how to use the phones, you can pound pound me any time you want to baby." It was a play on words because to dial store to store you simply hit ## and the store number, but I was immediately mortified that my husband said that to me at work. My heart was already racing and my palms were sweating so for him to end the call with that...My co-workers could easily see how frazzled I was!

I was working out of my store last week (I often work out of others stores in Portland to get the hours my store can't give me) and I took a step out of my comfort zone and answered the phone. It was Perry, except I thought he said Larry or Terry at Lloyd Center, so I didn't process that I was talking with MY HUSBAND until the end of the call when he said, "It was nice talking to you Sadie at Cascade Park." I felt like an idiot as I wandered off to retrieve the person he called for. He gets me so flustered!

I've had several anxiety filled days, but overall I'm mostly enjoying my new job. Primarily, I work in shipping and help out in our self-serve area when people need help running the copiers or the fax machines. The elderly customers really like me :) I do get a little anxious at the thought of working at other stores though because I'm not knowledgeable in printing. Most of the stores I fill in at make most of their revenue from their printing department and only do a handful of shipments each day. The store I work out of normally, typically, needs at least two people to man the shipping station during the day, so I'm getting very confident when it comes to shipping, but have only dabbled in the printing side of things. I feel really useless when I go to other stores not being able to help out over there.

In other news, Ms. Gail *finally* received her FedEx costume in the mail last week, and it was the BEST THING EVER! She was so so so cute! She also decided she doesn't want to have kids because she really wants to be a mailman when she grows up, and apparently having kids wouldn't allow her to do so! Hahaha!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!