Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Here's to the Start of a 504 Plan

I did it. I requested a 504 plan for HD. He currently has one in place for the upcoming school in regards to his education in the classroom. He'll be enjoying priority seating, (next to the teacher's desk) and things like weighted blankets and short pencils. Several other things, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. They aren't huge, but it needed to happen.

This other 504 plan might need to happen too because diabetes sucks. I've shared about my frustrations with the school in finding him a parent-designated-adult. Everyone keeps suggesting a neighbor or family member that might be able to come to the school if needed. Unfortunately we're one of the unlucky families to not have family near us. As for neighbors...well.... So then it starts - the nurse can help - the doctor should know- the ADA can help - the principal should know - the nurse will know. I felt like a pinball bouncing from one person to the next in search of answers.

I stopped in at the school this morning to see if I could meet the new nurse. Last year's nurse decided to go part-time and is only working in one school now. Because we're starting from scratch again, I want to start the year off right. I expressed my frustrations with not being able to find him a parent-designated-adult. I was told to ask the staff members. (But only after she suggested a family member or neighbor.) They all said no without actually saying no. All were confident they wouldn't be able to administer insulin. I always felt so defeated when leaving the school. I did today too.

I sent off a request to HD's doctor for new orders, signed a couple papers, and went to my VAN and called the ADA. I really didn't want play that card because I wasn't in the right emotional state to call them. I was fighting back tears as I spoke with the nurse. However, the legal advocate I spoke with was super awesome and now I wish I'd have called them sooner. Turns out, nurses CAN administer insulin at school, contrary to what I was told all spring long. And if he needs help administering it, and he does, they are required by law to have people (not just one!) trained at school to do so. It is not up to me to find the people, it's on them. THAT is what I needed to hear.

I know he's almost 10, and should be administering it himself. I also know that he'll have to do it for the rest of his life. He's been labeled as a T1D for four solid months. Not four years. He's still new to this! Just this past summer at camp, he tried to give himself his dose, and just couldn't. I need to know there will be a person available at school to help him do it if he has one of those moments again. I can't always just leave work for an hour. It is one of our goals this school year to get him to be independent when it comes to administering and calculating doses. Counting carbs might be another year behind.

But I did it guys. I put it into words that he's needs a medical 504 plan. I don't want to worry about who is taking care of him when I'm not. I want to know that he is safe and well cared for at school, because at the end of the last school year, I didn't feel good about sending him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!