Sunday, March 3, 2013

Elephant Cake

Over this weekend, despite still feeling a bit out of it from the cold I *still* have, I created a cake for a little girl turning 1 today. I'm not sure why I stressed out about this cake as much as I did - after all I think it turned out pretty good!
 This was the first tiered cake that I've done, and I had a lot of fun with it. Her mom said she wanted it elephant themed and I couldn't have thought of a better idea!
 For the top tier, I used buttercream frosting. I knew that fondant might be a little tricky for a 1 year to dive into! Plus, this gave me the perfect opportunity to practice my frosting skills, since I normally rely on fondant.
 The bottom tier was made of fondant. I used candy sticks as dowels to support the top tier, since I didn't have any wooden ones. I probably should have cut them a little bit shorter, but I figured this way they could take the top tier off fairly easily without wrecking it. 
 I am in love with the elephant I made to go on the top. She took all of...10 minutes to make and maybe 10 minutes to decorate. Not bad at all! I think she turned out so cute! 
AND I created a Facebook page for my cake too! So find me on Facebook and "like" my page: Simply Delightful Cakes : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!