Friday, January 13, 2017

One More Christmas in the Books

Christmas! The time of year everyone seems to love, except me. I'm not naturally a gift person (I'm more of a quality time person) so figuring out what to get everyone is quite the task for me. I'm always less stressed once it's done. I'd rather go to church and sing Christmas songs, drive around and look at lights, or play games with the family all season long. But... I survived another Christmas, and I prepared for it with Perry 550 miles away. Having him gone was stressful enough. 
 I was so happy to finally have him back with us Friday evening. Kile + Chris + kids arrived Thursday and words can't describe how excited my kids were to see their cousin again. It had only been a few weeks between, but still. I was just excited my youngest nephew wasn't terrified of me and actually sat with me to help make Papa Craig's neckwarmer. JP spent part of Christmas Eve morning making an elf hat to ensure he was going to be the first one to open a present.
This Christmas we instated the Ugly Sweater Day. Our plan was to wear them on Christmas Eve because unlike every other year, we changed our plans and were going to go to Christmas Mass on Christmas morning. Mid-way through Christmas Eve, our plans changed as Santa arrived sooner than expected, giving us more time to scurry out the door to Mass that night. 

The kids paced around waiting for Santa's arrival. JP basically camped out in front of the door. Story has it that Rudolf stepped on Santa's foot and injured him this year so we weren't sure if he'd have time for an in-person visit this year. I love the picture of Santa with the kids - especially Dyl popping up in back and realizing how close he was to Santa!


This is probably the last year Santa will be able to stop by, so this is the last picture we'll have with our childhood Santa too. It's too bad I don't have a picture of us when we were young to compare it against. 
After rode off in his sleigh, the family gathered to play the Saran wrap ball game. Robin and I spent a good hour wrapping up the "prizes" a few weeks before hand. There were things in it such as mini hand sanitizers, candy, Starbucks gift cards, cash, GI Joes, wine, shot bottles... there was something for everyone and at the end we were able to barter to get things we wanted. I forgot my dad had a Starbucks card and I traded him my magnetic metal pan for a bottle of wine. Should have went for the coffee... We also created our first kid's table. Not much was eaten but hey. I finally didn't have to sit with the kids. I'm movin' on up. 
I don't know if you remember from previous years posts, but on my side of the family, we open presents on Christmas Eve. (As an adult now, it drives me nuts because we don't start until late. I'm a stickler when it comes to bedtime routine...) As with any Christmas, there was wrapping paper everywhere. There were kids digging under the tree and handing out presents left and right. It didn't take long to make a "kids can't leave the carpet" rule. 

HD peaced out for a while when he open his present from Perry and I - a boom box. (I'm beginning to regret that decision now! But he loves it.) Charlotte has a dream of becoming a mailman so she was equally excited to open up her mailbox. I made JP wait to open his present from us until all other presents were opened. I think the wait almost killed him. Ms. Gail saw me bring it in the house after my shopping trip, so I sarcastically told her it was a dollhouse. She went on to tell JP it was a green dollhouse for him to play with. When he opened it, he discovered it was actually the Terra-Climber remote control car he really really wanted. He knew if we didn't get him one, Santa would, but Santa already had plans... It's pretty cool though - it can climb up stairs!
 Many family members spent Christmas morning trying to get a car up the hill. They apparently lived a few blocks away and were going to a friends house just down the road a ways, and managed to get stuck in the snow. (Robin always has this problem after it snows!) My parent's house is located in a slight valley on their street - it's uphill either way you go, and it's difficult for lightweight cars to pass through in the winter. There was a lot of pushing and shoveling and plowing done before they finally gave up and parked their car on the side of the road. Meanwhile, HD helped himself to the tractor and drove it around the driveway. I was impressed with his skills! 

The rest of the day was spent packing and cleaning. How lame, right? Who moves the day after Christmas? We do. It was probably best that we did all of our Christmas "activities" the day before so we could have time to pack and arrange the car. Perry and I along with Kile and Chris spent the evening playing Tri-Ominos and then later my mom joined in halfway through a game of Apples to Apples. After play Cards Against Humanity, Apples to Apples just doesn't compare, but it was still enjoyable, and relaxing. (Like I said, I love playing games!) 

While we don't have any plans set in stone yet, Perry and I are hoping to have Christmas in our new house next year (this year? next season?) so we can start to figure out our traditions. We've been lucky enough to have had most of our Christmas celebrations near home, but of the 9 Christmas seasons we've been through, we've only celebrated at our home once and we're ready to make our own traditions. As children, we both remember waking up and running upstairs to see what Santa left for us, and now that the boys are getting older, I feel like we're running out of time to make those memories at home. I really don't like having to make up reasons as to how Santa knows where the kids are and why he leaves presents here and there...it's so confusing. I'm just ready to be home for the holidays! We'll see how that unfolds! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!