Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Journey Begins: From MT to WA

Looking back, I envisioned moving to be more stressful on everyone than it was. Don't get me wrong, it was stressful enough, I just thought it would be more stressful. More than anything I was just anxious to get our family back together again, and start a new chapter in our lives. 

The Thursday leading up to our big move was a rough day for me. It was everyone's last day. It was Ms. Gail's last day of pre-school and childcare, followed by my last day helping in the library, then my last day at work, followed by an emotional last day of school. I felt like I was crying all day! Each of their teachers will be missed! JP has already told me he wishes Mrs. Reiley was still his 1st grade teacher. Ms. Gail hasn't processed that we're not moving back and has asked a few times when we'll get to go see Mrs. Klemp again. :( Breaks my heart! It goes without say that we had a little emotional good-bye as we all gave out hugs to everyone in the family Monday morning as we loaded the last few things in the car. It seemed a bit surreal. I knew it was going to happen, I just couldn't believe that we were actually moving. 
Before we left town we stopped by to see JP's friend one more time and then stopped by the hotel to pick up my last paycheck. That seemed so weird after working there for nearly 10 years. It's a good thing we didn't go too crazy with Christmas presents (could their be a worse time to do a final move?!) because we couldn't fit one more thing into the back of the car. We're lucky we had room for Roxy, even though it wasn't much. 
I was so very thankful that not only was Perry with us for the holidays, but that he willingly drove most of the way. 
I lucked out and had a nice view out every window. I love looking at snow on the trees. I love snow but I don't love driving in it.
We had plans of stopping in Spokane for a brunch, but opted for a little bit further down the road since Ms. Gail fell asleep. She's the only one that fell asleep during the trip. 
We also had our share of fighting along the way. It really made me appreciate the third row seating. 

We had to do the trip all in one day in order to be reimbursed for it. It was a long day in the car, but we made good time. I think we left town around 9:15a (mountain time) and pulled up to our new house at about 5:00p (Pacific time). It was light enough for the kids to kind of still see the backyard.
As soon as the kids were inside the house, they took off in what seemed like all directions. It actually took them a while to make it into the living, which is straight ahead from the entry. When one of them remembered Santa stopped by our new house too, they all went running to find the living room. Ms. Gail found a dollhouse and HD and JP each found a beanbag. They all loved their new gifts! 

*Side note* We had our hopes set on getting new carpet before the kids arrived but the install date kept getting pushed back. It worked out a little bit better with it not being installed before arrival because we had extra time to paint the ceiling in the living room. (More on that later...) The tack strips left around the living room and a few bedroom doors did make it quite the hazard zone though...
The next morning the kids did a bit of exploring of the backyard when it was nice and sunny out. HD and JP are really excited about the pond. HD even found a salamander! By night fall, the kids were anxious to help dad build a fire. HD loved every minute of it!
Everybody say "cheese" for mom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!