Monday, March 13, 2017

Upstairs Bathroom: Repainted and Done

It wasn't until Saturday when my hubby and I went to our next door neighbor's estate sale that I realized how fortunate we were to have a few updates done to our house. The kitchen especially! They had been the only owners of the home and lived there into their 90's. With the exception of a bathroom that was made to be handicap accessible, everything appeared to be original furnishings from the 70's. I'll be curious to see what the new neighbors do it. 

Over at our place though, the updates they did were either painting over the wallpaper, wallpapering over the wallpaper, or wallpapering over the wallpaper and then painting it. It's made for a long removal process. One of the rooms that didn't have wallpaper, but did at one point, was the upstairs bathroom. I was so in love with the bathroom we re-did in Missoula, that I wanted to re-create it - in a sense. I'm not entirely sure why I chose this to be my first project though but I'm happy to report it's almost done!
When we first arrived in December, we had this baby blue bathroom with brown cabinets. The floors are a white and blue linoleum but sound sticky when you walk on it. Slightly annoying in my opinion. By the end of the 4 days I was here, I had the walls and ceiling painted. 
I've been trying to decide what color to paint to the cabinets because this tanish-brown just wasn't working for me. I was going to with white, but since the counters were already white, I wasn't sold. I did however have left over paint from the dining room and figured, why not? We were going to go to the coast this weekend to watch the crab races in Tillamook, but decided we'd stay home and work on a few projects since it was supposed to rain all day over there. (When is it not raining though...?)
 
 I feel like I spent the entire day in this bathroom, but I'm so glad I did! I love how it turned out! Remember how I said there was an estate sale going on next door? While I'm elbows deep in paint, our doorbell rings a few times and some people walk in as I'm on my way to the door. They quickly turned around in a panic when they saw the kids, exclaiming, "This is the wrong house!" I'm sure it doesn't help that I was getting a StitchFix delivered at the same time... 
In order to paint the linen closet, I carefully removed the towels and sheets and placed them in nice piles in the freshly cleaned bathtub. By the end of the day I had a tub of towels to refold. There is a kid in there. Somewhere. This time around it might have been JP. I suspected a child might do this at some point. I figured that was where JP ran off to after dinner but I paid no attention to him as I put the handles back on the doors and drawers until my towels started vibrating and giggling. 
We're going to replace the flooring at a later date, and I'm going to have to repaint the already painted counter tile, but for now I'm done with this little project. I really like how the cabinets turned out. They fit in perfectly with the shower curtain and towels that were already in there.
I might start to tackle our master bathroom soon now that this one is done. It's covered in wallpaper though so it'll be quite the project... So much wallpaper in this home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!