Monday, February 23, 2015

An Outting to Art on Tap

For those who know me, I'm a pretty crafty person. I love making stuff! Although I enjoyed my time in shop class while in high school, I'm still kicking myself for not taking an art class... It was the one class I was so excited to take when I was in elementary and junior high, and then never did when I reached high school. The other month, a good friend of mine invited me to join her at Art on Tap. I had never heard of it before, but it sounded fun so I was all in. After checking out their website, I discovered it's  a weekly event (you have to RSVP prior) that takes place at one of the wineries or distilleries around town where an instructor teaches you how to paint the featured picture. Mini-art class? Heck yes! And it was so much fun!
When Miss Megan and the rest of her posse arrived at the Montgomery Distillery, the five of us staked out our easels, and headed to the bar to claim our free drink (it's included in the class and who can say no to a free drink?!) Mine was delicious - had vodka, honey, a few other things and a rosemary twig for garnish. 
 I would guess there was enough easels for about 40 people, but I would guess that maybe 25 people were there. We, obviously, started with the background, and she demonstrated how to bend the colors. I stuck with the same colors the instructor was using. A lady behind me added purple streaks to hers, which I loved and wish I would have thought of that too. Next time!
Then we had a short break so the backgrounds could dry. During the intermission, we added more paint to our trays and mingled for a bit. There was a poker game going on at the distillery as well so it was a little louder than I had expected it to be, but it was enjoyable none-the-less. After our break we dove into painting the flowers after she demonstrated the shapes and how to shade. I clearly missed something with the shading. The featured painting had orange flowers with yellow highlights, so maybe my problem was the different color flowers. I tried to add some red highlights, but then I ended up with a pink color, when I still wanted it to be purple... It all came together once we added the stems. 
It was fun to walk around and see everyone else's paintings. All the same, but all different at the same time. 
These are two of the many pictures the instructor had on display. My favorite ones by far! The wheat in the corner along with the wheat fields remind me of home. I don't know what it is about the trees, but I love that one as well. Maybe sometime I can recreate the wheat one...
As soon as I arrived home from Art on Tap, Perry helped me hang my flowers at the end of the hall. I had taken down a picture Kimberli drew for me and moved it to my gallery wall (which is missing one thing, and then I'll show you that!) and since then this spot has been bare. We didn't notice it around the holidays because this is where we hang a couple stockings, but as soon as the decorations came down, the blankness started to bother Perry. Problem solved thanks to an enjoyable afternoon! I'm definitely going back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!