Wednesday, July 27, 2016

A Day Trip to the Lewis + Clark Caverns

The kids and I returned home from the round house after swimming lessons finished on Friday, and to stay it was a long trip would be an understatement. How many times do I need to say, "Keep your hands to yourselves!" Gahhh! Normally Hunter sits in the back by himself but with all the bikes I had to haul back, it just wasn't going to work, so the three kids piled into the middle row. It was a long ride home... but we made it.

I spent Saturday evening working at the hotel, and then first thing Sunday morning, all five of us piled back into the car for another road trip. I've been wanting to take the kids to the Lewis and Clark Caverns for a while and thought this would be the perfect time to do it.
 The hike up to the entrance was a little long for some short legs, but the view was perfect!
Ms. Gail was carried for most of the way, and when she wasn't, she enjoyed walking on the far edge of the trail. That girl.... JP walked/ran the whole way, where as HD needed to be carried because he was too hot. 
 Once inside we had to be extra quiet because the bats were sleeping. My nerves got me a bit when I glanced over this edge. Heights are not for me!
 The kids all enjoyed going down the Beaver Tail slide. (I think Perry liked it the most!)
 They always look so thrilled to have their pictures taken...
Perry and I managed to get a picture of us though! Aren't we cute though?
 The boys really enjoyed looking at all the cave structures. I was surprised to hear they wanted to go after that long hike at the beginning!
After we finished up at the caverns we headed down the road a short ways to play on the Ringing Rocks. Unfortunately we didn't make it all the way there. They are located up a winding dirt road, wide enough for about one vehicle. We were probably 1/2 mile away when we came up to a corner with a big hole and sharp rocks on the other side and I just couldn't make it over it. Not to mention it was starting to get a little stormy out so holding hammers wasn't a super idea. I checked the weather before I left to make sure that wouldn't happen too. Go figure. But at least we'll know what to expect for next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!