Friday, September 13, 2013

Dear Charlotte, You Are 4 Months Old

Dear Charlotte,
   Or should I call you Charli, or rather Kiki like Hunter does? Let me tell you a little story about you. Your dad had told once I start getting paid more, I could have another baby. So as luck would have it, it was about a year ago today that your dad and I found out we were going to welcome another child into our lives. I was super excited about the next few months following; your dad however was not excited to live with a hormonal mom for 9 more months...
   I studied the Chinese calendar, which predicts the baby's sex based on the month and the age of the mother. I was determined to have a little girl. Don't get me wrong, I love your brothers, but I longed for a little girl. I knew from the git-go my wish had been granted. You gave me the worst morning sickness. Normally it lasts for the first 12 weeks, but you my dear made it last until I was 20 weeks. That was not fun for mom. Luckily I worked as the Executive Housekeeper at a hotel and had access to plenty of toilets...
      As I waddled up and down the halls of the hotel, my belly gradually grew bigger and bigger, and with that your kicks and jabs grew stronger and stronger. It was so hard for me to keep my mouth shut when people asked me, literally everyday, what I was having. (To a lot I actually responded with 'a baby!') I was elated to see on an ultrasound I was having a girl, but since we had kept your brothers a surprise, we kept you a surprise to everyone else. Quite frankly, I didn't know if I could handle having another boy, so I explained to your dad I needed to know before you were born so I could prepare myself for the arrival of a boy.
   At 3am on May 13th, I woke up to turn over and my water broke. Your dad was practically bouncing off the walls with excitement. In fact, I went back to bed for a few more hours, and since he was so restless, I sent him to work. Later that morning, I took your brothers to daycare and then your dad came home to pick me up and take me to the hospital.
   I was given pitocin to induce labor since 6 hours later I still wasn't having contractions. After a long afternoon of boredom, the new doctor on call came in to see me and determined most of my water was still intact. After she ruptured it, you were born about an hour and a half later. You entered the world so perfectly that I was able to watch you be born. (Your brothers both had the umbilical cord wrapped around their necks so I was too focused on getting them out that I missed it.)
   And it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyways, you were perfect. Tiny and perfect and beautiful. And my oh my were you a tired little girl during your first few weeks! In fact, I had to wake you up to feed you! Unlike some newborns who are up every couple hours at night, you my dear let me sleep, and for that I thank you. Not only was I a new mom again, but I also had a new job, to stay at home with you and your brothers, and with the energy they have, it's hard to do on little sleep!
   It seemed as though it took so long for you to get here, and now I can't believe you are 4 months old. What a good little girl you are too! As a newborn, you always had the hiccups. It sounded like you swallowed a squeaky toy each time you got them, which was pretty frequently. As soon as your many bouts of hiccups vanished, you became quite the little puker. About two or three times a day, when I was least expecting it, you would throw up what seemed to be your entire feeding. I learned to always pack you two extra sets of clothes when going anywhere! When you turned 2 months old, you began to light up my world by smiling at me. At 3 months old, you found that sucking on your fingers makes you super happy. So happy that for a few days afters you found them, instead of crying because you were hungry, you would suck and suck and suck your fingers. In fact, now at 4 months old, you fall asleep sucking your fingers all the time. Most commonly it's the middle two fingers on your left hand. I'm surprised they're never wrinkled! Though you started a while ago, your babbling is the cutest thing, especially when paired with a huge smile!
   Each morning when I pick you up out of your crib, you are nothing but a baby full of smiles. Even if you're starving, one look at me and you are the happiest baby in town. You are so laid back and quiet too. You are always being praised by family and friends because they never hear you cry. And when you do cry, it's only because you are super tired! Your legs are very strong, as is your neck for your age. I love that you love to just sit with me and take it all in. You are a good little girl.
   I'm excited to continue to watch you grow. Soon enough you'll be eating food, and then standing on your own, and walking. Though it makes me sad to see my baby grow up, I am excited for the memories we have yet to make.
        Love,
             Mom

P.S. Thanks for sleeping 12 hours last night. I enjoyed the extra hour of sleep :) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!