Wednesday, September 11, 2013

School Time for the Dustin Boys

In February I enrolled both Hunter and JP for preschool and after a looong wait on my part, the time has finally arrived! 
 
Both boys were super excited to attend the open house on Aug 26. Proud parent moment: My boys were able to easily find their names, unlike some of the other kids...

JP started school on September 3rd. Since we had been at the cabin Saturday, Sunday, and the majority of Monday, come Tuesday morning, this kid was exhausted. I woke him up around 7:45 to get him ready for school, and all he could say was "I'm still tired!" I reminded him about his school countdown (where he got to eat a Skittle every day until school starts) and then he sprang out of bed!
For breakfast, I made him Mickey Mouse pancakes with sprinkles. Loved it! And Dad did his hair.
 He looks so old! I gave him three shirt options, but I knew he was going to pick his favorite SpiderMan shirt. And he insisted on wearing his green shoes. They're pretty cool!
He was pretty nervous when we dropped him off at school. But he said his good-byes and off he went to play.
When I asked him what he did at school, he responded with "I didn't get to color." He was pretty disappointed by that, but I was able to get out of him that they also played tag outside and he got to be "it", they read a book, and he ate popcorn for a snack. 

Hunter was supposed to start school the next day on September 4th, but since we went back to the cabin after JP was done with school, we decided to stay there longer than planned. A month ago I agreed to fill in a shift at the hotel so the staff could attend a baseball game. Perry wanted to be able to spend as much time with his dad as possible, since his condition was deteriorating, and working meant leaving in the early afternoon. Luckily someone else was able to work instead! I could tell both Perry and the boys were thankful they were able to spend more time with Grandpa. Unfortunately for Hunter, it meant missing his 1st day of school. Hard decision, but it was clearly the right one.

 This is what I was able to get for a first day of school picture for Hunter. He goes to school in the afternoon, and by that point he was clearly not feeling pictures. And JP insisted on being in it, as well as Eeyore. When I dropped him off at school Friday, he didn't even say good-bye before he ran off to play. By the sounds of it when I picked him up later, he had mixed feelings about the whole school thing.
Hunter however was the first one on the schedule to be the teacher helper, snack bringer, and show & teller. I really wanted to make a cute snack for him to share with his new friends, but being at the cabin for the night before, and the morning of, didn't allow me much time to do so. I sent him along with some gummy snack and juice, that I instead let him pick out. 

For show & tell, he kept saying he didn't want to bring anything. Then I suggested Perry and him catch a crawdad to bring. That was that. He was super excited about it. Grandma Betty even gave him a toy crab to put in the crawdad's jar for him to "play" with. He named him Pinchers, even though he was missing one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!