Sunday, March 22, 2015

Super Hero Cake, To Go Please!

JP's birthday cake was a hit last month, so much so that I got a cake order out of it. Boo-ya! Not just any cake, but another super hero cake! At first I was thinking, how am I going to make another one without just copying the first one. And then it hit me. Make a rectangular one! 
For some reason when I made JP's cake, I drew a picture of it first. I can't tell you how much drawing it before hand has helped me! When I sketched this one, I colored it too since the crayons were out anyways. Coloring my picture helped me tremendously because then I was able to see what colors I would need and approximately how much of each. I think the longest part of the decorating part is coloring the fondant, or maybe the most boring? So much kneading... I did pretty good dividing it up though, except I forgot to save some white...oops!
 Like I try to do on each cake, I did a little something I hadn't done before. I cut the fondant after I put it on the cake. I really really really wanted it to look like the hand was coming through the cake. How'd I do? In retrospect, I'd have made the tear marks bigger, but it was my first time...
 Love the web on the back of the cake too! Can I admit I like this cake more than JP's? 
I stayed up until 1am Saturday morning getting most of the cake decorated. All I had left to do in the morning before I sent it off was to add the black buildings, red side border, and the make the black frosting for the web and cracks. I finished it up in about 45 minutes first thing after breakfast and then sent it off! 
This is what my kitchen looked like when it was all said and done... Perry has a love/hate relationship with me making cakes. This is the hate part.
My boys get so excited when I make cakes because they know they'll get to play with the leftover fondant. Who needs Playdoh when you have fondant and all of mom's cake tools? Playdoh is a thing of the past... But if you don't watch them, they'll scarf it all down in an instant! Too much sweets = one big belly ache!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!