Thursday, April 6, 2017

I Let the Boys "Borrow" a Camera...

At the end of February, when my parents came to visit, the seven of us piled into my vehicle and headed to the zoo. My mom had given us a membership to the zoo for Christmas and this was the first semi-sunny, semi-warm day we had really had since we've moved, so it seemed to work out to be a great day to get out of the house.

While we were there, I did my "mom-blogger" duty by snapping pictures here and there of everyone to later use on the blog (but it didn't ever happen). After about an hour, HD asked if he could use my (Canon Rebel) camera to take pictures. To explain to an 8-year old how the zoom works + the hold to focus then push all the way to take the picture, all on top of not dropping it or banging it around is simply exhausting. The day before I had found a book titled, "Who's Butt?" at the library and assumed HD would like it simply because it had the word "butt" in it. In short it was a book about a photographer who, more times than not, captured pictures of the behinds of animals instead of their faces. (Anything to get him to read!) HD thought this was a great book, and wanted to make one of his own. That's what he set out to do with my camera in tow. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Look! Look! I got a picture of its butt!" You know what though? I didn't care because if you know HD, he's usually bouncing around or not paying attention. This trip to the zoo was so relaxing. This kid was F.O.C.U.S.E.D.
Fast forward to spring break this week. I spontaneously decided we needed to get out of the house after JP broke the mirror that hung over my mantel. He apparently dropped kicked a football, right after I agreed he could have a friend come over. I cleaned it up, picked up his friend, made sandwiches and packed lunches for everyone, and then found batteries for an old camera of mine. I've been meaning to pick up an SD card for it, but haven't remembered yet, so I popped my Canon card into it and away we went. HD again enjoyed his time photographing animals and it seemed to make the zoo trip a little less chaotic. What was I thinking taking 4 kids to the zoo by myself?

That night at bedtime, we allowed the kids to sleep in the fort they had built in JP's room. HD grabbed the camera again and gave a very nice tour of it. Perry thought it was great! It wasn't quite up to the funny standards as the sledding video they made in December but hey. I love how HD points out every little detail.


In some of our down time yesterday, JP remembered the camera was working and took a very animated video of himself dancing on the ceiling. I don't know what I love best about it. Is it the music he makes himself? His dance moves? The way he tricks us into thinking he's actually dancing on the ceiling? It could very possibly be how out of breath his is at the end...
I didn't realize how much youtube they must have watched on my mom's iPad, but I also enjoy how they introduce themselves at the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!