Monday, November 4, 2013

Our Chore Charts Are Up and Running

I have been putting it off for a long time, but since the boys were with dad this past weekend, I finally broke down and made them chore charts.
I surfed Pinterest for quite some time before I decided to make my own chart. But I used ideas from ones that I found to help me decide age appropriate chores. Originally they were just going to get check marks when they finished their task, but I found a stock pile of stickers that were begging me to use. Now I just need to make the boxes a little bigger to fit them. Next week...
 We started on Sunday, but they were too busy helping Perry make a baby gate that they weren't too interested in being inside. But we accomplished a lot today. Hunter *willingly* vacuumed the stairs and his room, which were both on his weekly duties. 
 At the time Hunter was vacuuming his room, this kid was supposed to be cleaning his room, which is on his list of things to do. 30% cleaning, 70% playing with the stuff you found. Here's a good example of that. Hunter walked into JP's room and saw this and announced, "Jim, I am not okay with this." Haha spoken like a grown up!
 Regardless, he still managed to get his room clean for a sticker. Here's how I'm working the chore chart, for now anyways. The top section won't change from week to week. Every day they'll have to make their beds, brush their teeth in the morning & evening, spend time reading with mom or dad (or by themselves), clean up the playroom, tidy up their rooms (they typically don't play in them so they don't really get messy), and then pick out clothes to wear the next day. I haven't determined it yet, but there will be some kind of payment plan for completing their tasks, with a bonus for completing them all. 
 They also have weekly tasks, which they are only required to do once a week, bonus if they do it more. But once a week they'll need to bring their dirty hampers to the laundry room and then put their clean clothes away. 
I put their rotating chores on popsicle sticks and they will draw for their chores on Sundays. Hunter has 4 weekly tasks that will change, and JP will have 3. They will also have daily tasks that will change each week, Hunter getting one more of those too. 

Even though we're only on Day 2, I'm surprised as to how willing they are to help out. Hunter was more than excited to feed and water Roxy, and he made it a point to help JP set the table, even though it wasn't his job for the week. And JP, oh my goodness, I have never seen a kid so excited to clean out the bathroom sink!

I'm sure I'll make a few changes when I figure out what works and what doesn't, but for now the new-ness of it is exciting for them. Who else has a chore chart? What do you have on yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!