Monday, September 29, 2014

Apple Cider Field Trip

Last week, on our anniversary actually, JP's class took a field trip to Fort Missoula to make apple cider. Both Hunter and JP's class did this last year too. I really wanted to go, but was nervous about bringing my new baby and another child along with. This year I signed up to be a driver and brought Charlotte along. 
This was the last time I made apple cider...36 weeks pregnant with Hunter. That's a good 6 years ago... From what I remember about that time, it was loud so I was curious about the press at the Fort.
 I've always been impressed with JP, and on his field trip he was no different. He's such a good listener! And I'll let you guess what color apples JP brought with him... Seriously, red was out of the question...
 (He dresses himself, can you tell?)
 Each child had the opportunity to put apples in the the top part of the cider press and then were able to watch them go down as another child turned the crank to grind them up.
 JP really enjoyed cranking the wheel!
 After his turn he and his friends sat nicely (for the most part) and waited for everyone else to complete their turns.
When all the apples made it into the press, they watched all the juice stream out into the pan below. For their drink at snack time, they each tried a cup of the cider they made. It was tasty! Before heading back to school, they took a little tour of the Fort and sat inside and old homestead.
 Here's a few shots of the press we used at my baby shower in 2008. It was operated by a motor instead of all done by hand. 
We made quite a few gallons of cider! The apple press is still at the house in Whitefish, and I think we need to bring it back to Seeley to do this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!