Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Marvel Superhero Cake

I've had a busy week to say the least. July flew by and August came in with guns loaded and knocked me on my butt. I'm so glad this week is over! Going to work has never been so....relaxing?

At work we've had a few people leave us at the front desk (so I'm done with working in the maintenance department!) and we've been busy training a couple new people. One of them was a new hire. As we were talking, getting to know each other, I told her I was a stay-at-home mom on the week days, but also make/decorate cakes in my free time when needed. That lead to me showing her my cake blog. (I like to show them off, what can I say? When you're proud...)

My most recent cakes on the blog were the superhero ones I did this last winter/spring so she saw those first. (I had exactly 8 hours to make and decorate Charlotte's cake. It was kind of a flop...I haven't posted it yet...) Turns our her son is REALLY into superheros too. His birthday is/was this summer, and since he was getting back from vacation near or on it, she wanted to surprise him with a superhero cake for his birthday too. Neither JP nor his friend cared which superheros were on their cakes, so I chose. We made this one super special for him, as he was turning 15. Because he loves his comic book heros, his mom, my co-worker, asked him which ones were his favorite: Iron Man, Captain America, Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, and Dead Pool. Uhhh....I know two of them?

Lately I've found that drawing a picture of what I'm going to make, and coloring it, really helps me get a visual of the cake when it's done. I kept putting off drawing a picture of it because August felt so far away. Before I knew it, it was Tuesday and I needed to deliver the cake Wednesday night. I finally hunkered down and figured out what to do.

I dropped it off at the hotel and then let the kids swim in the pool for while. You know, since I was cooped up in the kitchen for a day and a half... they needed to get out and run around, swim around I suppose.
 Here's what I came up with. This red side with the white face is Ant-Man. I really like how the black Dead Pool section turned out. I was most nervous about that one, but it turned out perfect!
I did Captain America first, since it was his 3rd time appearing on my cakes. I'm a little bummed with how Iron Man turned out. But it works. I saved Scarlet Witch for last so I wouldn't have to work around her cape too much. I left it uneven and hanging off the cake so it looked more like a cape. You can't really see it in the pictures, but it also has her "M" looking thing that she wears around her face. 

His mom said he LOVED it and was impressed with the choice of characters. Little did he know, he actually picked them! Instead of cutting into it immediately, they put it in the freezer so his older brother could see it when he gets home later this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!