Thursday, April 25, 2013

Packing Our Bags - Part 1 Baby Bag

Now that I'm registered for Labor & Delivery, I figured I should probably start packing my bag and the baby's bag for the hospital. I didn't pack soon enough with JP. He surprised us and came two weeks early and left me packing for both of us, while tending to Hunter, while breathing through contractions. Not exactly the most fun I've had... 

Needless to say, by baby #3 I know what I need, and what I can leave at home. So if you can stand it, here's a tour of what I'm bringing to the hospital...Hope this helps all you new moms-to-be!

First of all, I'll start with the baby bag itself. Shortly after we had Hunter, Aunt Mary and Uncle Peter gave us this handy bag (that we *still* use all the time). Its the perfect size for over night trips to pack the boys' stuff in, or to carry their toys on car trips, etc. I used this bag when I quickly packed Baby #2's stuff together, and is now also Baby #3's hospital bag.
I'm not sure where they got it, but should you be interested, its made by L.L.Bean. Pockets galore! I just love it!
 Here's what I've packed. Doesn't seem like enough, does it?
 Most of this stuff is pretty self explanatory, but I'l go over it anyways. Hand sanitizer for after diaper changes, and for visitors. No need to give a new born baby all your germs if you can help it! I didn't pack them with the other two, but this time I'm packing nail clippers as well. You'd be surprised as to how long those finger nails can be when they are first born! With all the heartburn I've had, I'm assuming this babe is going to have some hair. The boys ran off with all the baby combs over the last few years, so instead of buying a new one, I'm packing one of mine. And the Vaseline is for babe's bottom. The merconium poop they have the first few days is icky enough, but the Vaseline will help prevent it from sticking too much. Lesson learned!
 I'm not really an undershirt momma, but you never know what the room temperature, or outside temperature will be when you bring baby home. Plus, if they have a blow out at the hospital, I'd rather it get all over their onesie and not their cute little outfit!
 I'm pretty sure the hospital provides wipes, but I like to bring my own regardless. Notice how I'm not packing diapers? They'll give you a pack of them there so no need to bring your own, unless you're in love with a certain kind. At our hospital they give the baby a hat to wear that usually an elderly person made, but I'm also bringing one that the boys wore too.
I'm also packing a couple burp cloths, and yes these are the ones I made. I'm only bringing three outfits, and yes, I know there is only two pictured. Make sure you have one for newborn pictures and one to go home in. In my case, its the same outfit. Neutral since baby might be a boy, or might be a girl! And lastly, I've packed two receiving blankets. One is yellow, the other is the one everything is laying on. Both boys used them, so I plan on using them this time too. 

And that's it! That's all I'm bring to the hospital for the baby. Am I crazy? Do you think I should be packing more? 
 Before I forget... here's where the third outfit was. We were practicing stuff again with "Baby Huffington" who is a monkey that was given to JP by Aunt Emilienne. JP insists we name the baby in my tummy Huffington, so we compromised and named his babies Huffington. He has two. I was super surprised that this monkey fit nicely into newborn clothes! Now I just need to remember to undress and pack this outfit!
Okay...I guess I'm "packing" something else too... two more receiving blankets. But these ones are just for the car seat to keep baby's head up and prevent it from wobbling around...but they are packed in the car seat so it doesn't really count...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man...you don't even want to know how much crap I took with me to the hospital...clothes and diapers and burp rags and like three blankets and my boppy pillow (ok, that was actually a life saver when I was laboring before I got my epidural, after the happy juice, I didn't care.) And then there was my laptop and cameras and video cameras and card games (we actually did play some games because my water broke and I was not having any contractions, so I had like 12 hours of twidling my thumbs) and clothes for me and my robe and slippers and snacky foods...and then people brought me gifts...added to the fact that it was me, Colin, my Mother-In-Law, and my parents and brothers...we had a TON of stuff in my little hospital room! Next time, I'm going sparse.

Sadie D said...

I still have to pack my bag, which will have things like my camera and possibly my laptop, and some other miscellaneous things, but overall still pretty light. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!