Monday, July 7, 2014

Family Sunday: The Beginning

Even though I blog about the good stuff happening in my life, it's only fair for you to know that my relationship with Perry isn't perfect, nor with my kids. I fight with my kids all the time and I fight with my husband about stupid things that don't need to be fought about. I try not to dwell on it so I tend not to blog about it but...

A couple weeks ago, Perry and I got into a pretty heated argument. Every weekend Perry would spend all his time working on the house. Yes, things needed to get done, but to me they weren't pressing issues. Water dripping from the light fixture in the laundry room? Yes fix that! Dirt pile under the deck? That can wait... and so it started. I cried, I yelled, I cried because I yelled, I cried some more... Sometimes I think I just need a good cry. I don't recall how it started but all that matters is that we were able to come to an agreement. I wanted him to spend more time with the family and he wanted to get stuff done. After a lot of venting and a lot of "this is how I feel....", we came to the agreement that Sunday's would be reserved for family.

Isn't it supposed to be anyways? I mean after all, one of the Ten Commandment is to "Keep Holy the Sabbath Day." For all of my working life, I my job has required me to work on Sunday's so it became just another day of the week. Same for Perry. When I had Charlotte, I was lucky enough to be able to quit my job and stay home, but that didn't necessarily mean going to church was automatically put on the schedule. Although it seems like it, it doesn't mean that we would get more family time either. And so we fought.

As I said, we did come to an agreement. Sunday's are now reserved for just doing stuff as a family. Sunday morning we sleep in a little bit (or not at all, depending on when Hunter wakes up because once he's up, the other kids are too...), and then we have family breakfast before going to church. After church we do stuff as a family. It doesn't matter what, as long as we're all together focusing on each other.


Last weekend was our first weekend with our new system in place, except the day were a little flipped. Saturday we took the kids (how many times have I typed boys and had to change it to kids?!) to hang out with Grandma while Perry and I golfed 18 holes in the rain. We had a lot of fun on course even though the weather was a little chillier and wetter than we would have liked. But after church Sunday morning, we worked around the yard and did laundry. In the late afternoon, we surprised the boys by taking them swimming at the hotel. They had SO much fun!



Watch out for JP...make sure he doesn't judo chop you when you come out of the slide....!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!