Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A Lego Cake for Hunter

Didn't he just turn 5?! Hunter is 6 already! I look at him and wonder where my baby went!

This year we are having Thanksgiving with my husband's brother's family in Cheyenne, WY. They've been living there for a good 5 years, and we've yet to visit them. Originally we planned to come down for their son's 1st birthday in August, but it just didn't work out. So we opted to head down that way for Thanksgiving and make a vacation out of it. We may as well since it's a 11.5 hour drive (at least) one way! 

Anyways as the dates would fall, Hunter's birthday was on a Friday this year, and since we wanted to be able to ride on the Polar Express, we had to leave on Friday to make it to town with enough time to not be rushed to get to the train on time. Since we left on Friday, we had a little birthday celebration with my family the night before by taking him to his favorite place to eat, Buffalo Wild Wings, and then opening a few presents. Some how between all the chaos of making sure everything was packed, I managed to make Hunter cupcakes for a snack at school on Friday. It was so much fun hanging out with his class for the last half hour of the day. Turns out Hunter is the 3rd oldest in his class! Because of all the scrambling around, I knew I wasn't going to have time to make a cake at home for his birthday so we agreed to make him one in Cheyenne. 

This year's theme was Legos. Easy enough! After arriving Saturday afternoon, and riding the train on Sunday, my sister-in-law, Erin, and I set out to make his cake on Monday. I didn't think it would take all day, but it did. The elevation of Cheyenne really through me for a loop with the frosting, which made frosting his cake a challenge... that's when I got out the wine to calm my nerves!

I had so much fun teaching Erin how to use fondant and was SO thankful she was there to help cut out the blocks!
 I normally don't bake in my glasses because they slip off my face when I look down (I'm blind problems) and they give me a headache when I wear them all day...hence the wine...
 Here's the final picture of the cake. It didn't turn out quite how I would have liked it, but Hunter loved it. It's a little hard to see with the white on white, but it's suppose to look like the Lego guy unrolled the fondant to see the Legos underneath. We should have make more Lego blocks, but everyone was getting antsy to eat it. 
 He wanted to decorate it with real Legos...
 JP liked it too. I think he was a little jealous, and more anxious for his birthday to come!
 After singing "Happy Birthday" Hunter opened up a few more presents. He was SO EXCITED at the coupons grandma gave him. One to go to the movie with her, one for bowling, and one for a weekend at the cabin with her. 
The kids finished the evening with Bible stories read by Grandma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!