Thursday, July 23, 2015

Swimming Lessons at the "Blue House" Pool

It was time for our yearly trip to the Round House again for swimming lessons. A dear friend of my little sister, younger sister rather, was getting married on the 18th, and swimming lessons just so happened to be the week leading up to it, so I decided what the heck and signed them up for lessons at the last minute. Originally I was just planning on taking the weekend off of work for the wedding, because I normally work evening shifts and wouldn't be able to leave after work to make it to lessons on time. As luck would have it, I was scheduled in the morning so as soon as I was finished with work, the kids and I loaded up my car and we headed to the Dome Home for the week.
 Hunter had a good day one. I signed the boys up at different times because in the previous years they were more interested in playing with each other. I thought I'd try them at different times this year to see what would happen. It back fired in my face. Hunter had his lessons first at 8am, and JP was supposed to go at 9am, except he refused to get in the pool. I even put him in the pool myself - he quickly got out and cried the rest of the time we were there. 
 The next day, my mom came along with me and we had Hunter go at 9am to see if JP would get in the pool with him. Still no luck. (I even took him to open swim the day before and he swam around for two hours and loved it!) He sat on the bench with us for half an hour before one of the *pretty* lifeguards won him over. By the end of his lesson for the day, he didn't want to get out. Go figure. 
 On Wednesday JP got into the pool right at the beginning of the lesson and did well. Hunter did most of his lessons in the deep end. He can't swim out there on his own yet, but he's getting there. 
 After lessons on Wednesday, JP and I left to go back home to go to his eye appointment Thursday morning. I tried to reschedule it, but the next available wasn't until the end of August. This appointment was to check to see if his glasses were correcting his vision in the one eye. If they weren't we'd have to patch his good eye. Lucky for him no patching is needed. Yay! As soon as we were done there, we headed back to the Dome Home...again. Perry and I spoiled him while he was here alone though - he added three new green shirts to his wardrobe, ate Fro-Yo and stayed up late. 
 Charlotte had fun in the pool too! I took her on Monday with the boys and she was "that kid." She pooped in her swim diaper, I caught her peeing when she got out of the pool to jump back in, and then she also threw up a little in the pool when she swallowed too much water. Gah. With that life jacket on, she was able to swim by herself. She'd jump in and then kick her feet until she got to the ladder and would climb out and do it again. After an hour and a half she announced to me she was done. 
I brought her back on Friday and she had just as much fun as Monday. You'd never guess she'd only been in a pool once before this trip. On Friday I was more comfortable with her swimming alone for a few minutes at a time, so I'd take Hunter to the deep end to practice every so often. After an hour of swimming she was ready to get out of the pool. But she ended up standing in the shower for 15 minutes while I struggled to get my skinny jeans on. Won't wear those on a swimming day again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!