Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Fishing We Will Go...

First thing: I bought my first fishing license yesterday! I remember fishing with Grandpa Mike when I was young. I don't recall if I enjoyed it or not, but I do know I hated eating fish. I believe Grandpa Mike's rule was if you catch it you have to eat it. And I still hate the taste of fish. So maybe that's why I stopped fishing...? 

But regardless, Perry enjoys fishing. I've told him plenty of times that I would go fishing with him, as long as I didn't have to eat the fish. Heck I'd even cook it for him as long as I didn't have to eat it. So with that out there, we finally took the boys fishing yesterday. And of course Charlotte too. But she slept for the entire day. It didn't even seem like she was with us. I had to wake her up twice to feed her, and then she was back to sleep. 
It goes without saying, she was a little angel all day :)
For our little fishing trip, we traveled up Rock Creek, about half an hour out of town and stopped at a nice little spot that was shallow and calm enough for the boys to play in. They we so excited to see baby fish swimming along the shore. While Perry did a little fly fishing, the boys tried to catch the inch big fish, with no such luck. JP also hit a little milestone. He willingly pooped outside in the "wilderness" since there were no outhouses in sight. Hunter already accomplished that feat a while back in our backyard....
When they weren't trying to catch the baby fish, they spent a lot of time throwing rocks until Perry was done fishing. Then we packed up shop to look for a better place to fish.
We found one a little way up the road so we parked and had our lunch before climbing down the hillside, which is quite difficult with a baby in a carseat, that I didn't realize until we were halfway down that she was not buckled in (thank goodness I didn't slip), and a baby bag. But once we were there, the boys were super eager to start fishing. 
I think in this moment, Perry loved being a dad and showing his son how to fish. 
He also had to show me how to fish...and then I had to teach JP. I'm pretty sure he thought we caught his lure every time we reeled it in. He was so excited! Before we left town, we had stopped to get my license and while we were there, we each picked out our own lures. Of course JP's was green... 
When JP wasn't fishing with me, he was fishing by himself with his stick, and the sunglasses I found at our yard sale.
We were going to cross this bridge that was just above the spot we were at, but I told Perry there was no way I was going to cross it. I watched people and it shook! Not for me. (Kelsey- your fear of bridges is completely rational!) Instead Perry took the boys up there one by one to let them experience it. 
Once that spot was over crowed with people on the other side, and kids throwing rocks off the bridge, we packed up again to find a new spot. We drove and drove and drove because Perry had a spot in mind and we hadn't passed it yet. There was a lot of "Oh I remember this" and "We're getting close, I just know it!" Before we knew it, we were 17 miles out on a gravel road with pot holes and we still hadn't found "the spot" so I suggested we turn around and take them to Rainbow Bend, which is along the way to the cabin. 

I gave Perry a hard time, once we found his "spot" was rocked off to vehicles around marker 12. So we continued on with our plan. Typical Perry was still stopping and looking for other places along the way back when he came across a path with a wooden walkway. He followed it while we waited in the car. And this is now where we'll go when we talk about "going fishing." So again, I packed Charlotte into our new spot with the carseat and her bag. We were literally walking through weeds and grass taller than me. I felt like I was in a jungle...and I didn't like it. But both Perry and Hunter enjoyed fishing in the new spot.
I did have to eventually put Hunter's pole away as he wasn't understanding the casting part and after getting his hook caught in Charli's blanket earlier in the day, and almost hooking JP when he was reeling it in, it was time to be done. 

On the way home, Hunter was in the back singing "Very happy, so very happy because I have Jesus in my heart" over and over for about 15 minutes. It eventually changed into "This is the day the "Yord" has made, let us be glad!" And then there was JP, "You're singing it wrong!"
But like a little trooper, Charlotte remained asleep. My plan was to keep her awake all evening so she'd still sleep at night. After dinner I was super tired, and when I laid down for a few minutes, I became super nauseous and very dizzy. I hung out over the toilet for a while and shortly after returning to my room, Perry brought Charlotte back because she puked all over the couch. 
In other news, we finally got a swamp cooler...and now our house is much cooler, but very humid. There's no winning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!