Wednesday, July 17, 2013

It's Almost Time to Harvest Our Garden!

For about 10 years now, I've always wanted a raspberry bush in my backyard. But I didn't plant one at my parents house because I was graduating high school before I would be able to actually enjoy it. Then came college. Now that Perry and I have a home of our own, I made sure we would have space for one. Last year our neighbor gave us a couple flips from his raspberry bush to help us start our own. (So the boys stop picking theirs?) We weren't sure if they were going to make it through the winter or not as they basically just looked like dead tree limbs. 
But they made it! And plenty new shoots are coming up this year. We'll have 3x the raspberries next year. I am so excited!! I remember picking raspberries at my best friend's house when I was pretty young...maybe 5 or 6 or 7 years old. I also remember crawling into the middle of the bush to get all good ones. We never came out with a nice poke from the thorns!
While Perry and Hunter were mowing at my parents home, JP and I went out to check on the raspberries, and eat a few. He gets so excited every time he sees a pink one. "Look mom! This one's pink! It's not ready yet!" 
He also spent some time bonding with his sister. We all thought he was going to be the one completely in love with her, but Hunter proved us wrong. JP has come a long way in the last two months. He's not yelling "Get it off me! Get it off of me!" anymore.
Our garden is starting to green up quite a bit too. Our lettuce is shooting up. I'm not sure what's going on with the broccoli though...but we have plenty of lettuce!
And our peas now have pods on them. I actually found a couple yesterday that were ready to eat. Nothing better than garden fresh peas!
Our flowers are in full bloom too. I love going into our backyard just to look at all the flowers!
The geraniums my mom gave to us are finally blooming too. I wasn't sure if they were going to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!