Sunday, July 7, 2013

Yard Sale

Before little Miss Charlotte was born, we planned on having a yard sale to clear out our attic of things we no longer needed. We began our planning in late March setting aside things we didn't use any more. During this time I was nesting so I raided the totes of baby clothes and pulled out all the neutral items to get them rewashed and ready to be used again, which then led to me sorting through ALL of the boys' clothes from newborn on... Quite the task, but I can happily say all my totes now have the correct sizes in them and aren't all miss matched! 

In April, Perry's parents began bringing items from their house to donate to our sale. Originally we planned on having our sale the 1st weekend in May and then the 2nd...and then Charlotte was born. By that point our garage was full and a sale still hadn't happened. Then our neighbors wanted to have one the same weekend we had ours so we finally picked a date, June 22 &23 since all the other weekends were full. As the date approached Perry worked and worked on getting everything priced, and his parents continued to drop miscellaneous items off here and there...A few days before "the big weekend," we heard it was going to rain and conveniently enough, my sister had her baby so we pushed the sale back yet another week, and I went to visit my first nephew. So here we were, the last week in June, and we're finally getting ready to actually have our big sale.
Although my main task was to get the clothes sorted (which was done a while ago) I was in charge of making signs, after Perry did one to show me *exactly* how he wanted them done. Not OCD or anything...After completing about 10 signs, the boys and I took a little break to play outside for a while. I just love kid toes :)
And even though I had to bribe them to sit still for a second, I was delighted that I got a nice picture of my boys together, behaving for a second. Soon after I had Hunter go inside to put his shoes on so he wouldn't burn his feet on the deck. When he didn't come back out in a reasonable amount of time, I went in to check on the status of the shoe task and found this...
He helped himself to my *permanent marker* and colored all over my sign. I really didn't care because I had a ton of poster board to make more...and then I saw my table...
He clearly knew he wasn't supposed to color on the table as he had used Perry's stencils to cover up his marks. To be completely honest, I was livid. I'm thinking, "there is no way I'm getting this off the table and Perry is going to be even more livid when he sees this!" 
Lucky for Hunter, I was able to remove ALL of it with rubbing alcohol. Who knew? 
Since we clearly weren't going to use the sign he colored all over, we decided to paint the letters instead. These boys LOVE to paint. 
 I am so impressed with JP's skills. He has so much more patience than Hunter does. 
And finally the morning arrived! Perry started setting up around 5am and by about 11am it started sprinkling. At that point "Panicing Perry" was found racing around covering *everything* up. By the time he finished, it stopped sprinkling. And then it became super hot! In the upper 90s. Overall it was a good weekend for the yard sale. Perry's mom had the boys so we didn't have to worry about their whereabouts and what they were getting into...

When I saw Kile in May, I had her go through our baby clothes and pick out ones she wanted. I pulled out a few and told her she couldn't have them because I wanted to save them for the boys. Fast forward to the yard sale...Perry, not knowingly, put theses clothes, the boys' "coming home" outfits, out on the table for sale. I didn't realize it until a lady brought both of them up to buy. I almost started crying right there on the spot but I'm not the kind of person to say anything. I really wanted to say, "I'm sorry, those aren't for sale..." I'm sure she would have understood completely, but I had to keep telling myself that I don't need them anymore, and I don't need to keep them. They were going to a family who was going to be blessed with twin boys and would get much better use than just sitting in a box for 20 years. Though I would have rather that Kile had them, then I could at least have gotten them back... I'm still a little sad about it, but like I said, I don't need them. I'll probably save Charlotte's though, just because girls seem to be more sentimental. 

Now that the sale is over, we just need to find time to take stuff to Goodwill and to the YWCA and such. It took forever to get everything boxed up but the profit (and getting our garage back!) was well work the work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!