Saturday, June 7, 2014

Building a Patio: Update #2

We have officially started on the patio!! On Wednesday to be exact. That's when I wanted to start reupholstering my table and chairs, but didn't have any staples so I was forced to put my project on hold and go to Home Depot with 3 kids the next morning...Anyways, I instead spent my time helping Perry move all the pavers that were already laid down. He was impressed I was *asking* to help.
On Thursday while I finished up my project on the deck, Perry worked hard on breaking up the ground and shoveling rocks. I attempted to help him with that portion of the project on Friday, but because of my lack of muscle and skill, I was gently kicked off the "shoveling rock" job, and the "pick" job. Lucky for me, there was one other job I was able to do. Move sand. Correction, move 4 tons of sand. [See truck with tipped trailer]
While the kids and I were at a park on Friday afternoon, Grandma borrowed the truck and trailer to pick up the sand for us. (Pays to know people in the construction field!) From the moment I saw all the sand, I was dreading having to unload it. Although I did unload the majority of it, Perry lightened the load by filling up the boys' sandbox to get some of the weight off the trailer while I was at the store getting weed block to put down.

I loaded up wheel barrel after wheel barrel and hauled them to the backyard to dump. I had a few close calls getting them there. Just when I finished up the trailer, Perry informed me that the truck also needed to be emptied that night as well due to all the weight that was on it too. Understandable. The back right tire was nearly flat because the load was so heavy. I got a few loads of sand dumped from the back of the truck before our neighbor, Judy, came over to help. *We are SO thankful for ALL her help!* She ran the wheel barrels while I filled them up and if she hadn't been, I wouldn't have finished until 2 am, unlike 11pm when we finished up.
 
Here's what we accomplished as of Friday night. Perry was able to get all of the ground broke up while we we're unloading sand. The picture of the sand pile doesn't give it justice as to how big it actually is... Later this morning Grandma Betty is going to come into to town to help lay the pavers down, which I can only imagine will be a big job. The boys are so excited to see her. And we are excited for the extra help!

[Update #3]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!