Thursday, June 26, 2014

Building a Patio: Update #4 We're DONE!

This week, finally, we put the final pieces together for the patio. Here's Update #3 if you missed it!
I cannot say how excited, relieved, thankful... it is to be done!! Now we're just working on leveling out the ground around the patio and reseeding the grass. I'm anxious for the grass to grow in because the dirt and sand is easily tracked onto the patio. 
 Perry spent Saturday morning putting in the last few bricks where we have the barbecue and JP and I began setting up the patio set given to us by Grandma. 
 He was such a good helper! 
 And was very quick to clean up when he learned he could play in the box the chairs came in... We have since cut a door into the side of it and Hunter and JP have colored/scribbled all over their new "house".
 I had a heck of a time actually assembling the chairs. Again, after a lot of cursing, Perry came to my rescue and assembled most of them, but also wound up cursing at the chair I was working on too. Glad it wasn't just me!
I'm loving the area for the grill. It keeps it accessible but out of the way, and blocks my view of under the deck. (Mostly a huge dirt pile) 
I put in the edgers this week. We have them level with the yard, but raised under the deck by the grill to help keep the dirt/sand out. 
While putting in one of the last raised edgers the other day, I was holding a brick in place while I used the rubber mallet to pound it into place. Somehow I missed and smashed my thumb. It immediately turned blue and I wanted to scream, but I kept it together. Hunter came over right away when he realized I was in pain. He switched into "Dr. Hunter" in a flash by retrieving a bag he had filled with ice and frozen berries (which he put in there for me to eat once the ice melted) and a popsicle. As I laid out on the grass to prevent myself from fainting, he collected a few rocks and brought them over to me and proceeded to tell me about all of them. JP on the other hand had disappeared for a while in search of a band aide because he thought I was going to bleed out. By the time the band aide made it outside, it lost all of its stickiness. My thumb has since turned purple on the top and side. 

Perry's finger which he smashed a the other weekend with a brick, is still on the mend. Surprisingly he hasn't lost the nail yet. Looks like no one came away from this project in one piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!