Monday, June 9, 2014

Building a Patio: Update #3

We made a lot of progress on the patio is past weekend. After catching up on some much needed sleep, we ran to Home Depot before diving into to all the work that needed to get done. We picked up one load of pavers, some bricks for the edges, and more weed block because I didn't get enough the last time I went. 
The first thing we did was lay out the rules of the sand to the boys (and then repeated them multiple times throughout the day) before we started to spread out and water the sand. 
Meanwhile, Charli rocked her new ponytail do while kickin' it in the sand pile. I don't know how much sand she ate, but two days later, she's still pooping it out... Hunter and JP opted to make a huge mess of the dirt pile Perry dug up the other night. After throwing chunks of dirt at the mower though, they promptly were kicked off...
Perry started laying down pavers while I finished spreading out the sand. Once I was done with that, and when Grandma arrived, he showed us how to lay the pavers too. When he was checking one of the first couple pavers I set, he dropped one on his finger and pretty much ripped the nail off. It's barely hanging on. After a short injury break, everyone went back to work. Grandma and I still weren't even remotely close to as fast as he was with an injured finger, but we held our own. 
Grandma had extra help. Hunter was her very own "water boy" asking her if she needed a drink about every fifteen minutes. If he wasn't doing that, he was randomly shouting, "Let's go Grandma!" or "Get it moving Mom!" Very motivational....JP also helped out by banging the hammer a few time for Grandma, and by being the wobble tester. They both like this job of standing on the paver to see if it wobbled. Very important job for them. 
 By the end of Saturday night, this is what we accomplished. 
By the end of Sunday night, this is what Perry accomplished. I say Perry because after laying 3 pavers and it taking about 45 minutes, I gave up crying. It's quite frustrating. It's level left to right, but it has to much or to little slant. You fix the slant, you mess up the level. After I kind of got it together, my new job was to sprinkle sand in the cracks and water it down to help set them. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My wife wants to build a patio in our backyard. She loves to go outside and read when she gets a chance. We'll have to rent some equipment to be able to do it but I think it's still possible. Hopefully we can do it next spring.
http://www.adams-rental.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!