Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Our House Received a Little Face Lift! Woot Woot!

You know you're a homeowner when you get excited about doors... Hahaha! But seriously, we are over the moon about our new front door! I must be an adult because kids don't react this way! It's a door...

I've been on a kick for a few years, telling Perry how I think the front door says a lot about a house. This picture above is what our house looked like when we first moved in. (I'm so glad I took all these!) A pretty front door wasn't high on the list of things to "fix" on this house. I settled for a paint job and a wreath to spruce it up. Quite honestly, I love my wreath!
 
I wasn't totally in-love with the two-tone thing Perry was going for, but for the record, I did *kind of* like the pink with the red. I just didn't like the pink around the white windows. It looked off.

At the beginning of September, Perry's mom took a vacation and instead of leaving her truck at the airport, I took her to the airport so she could leave her truck, for free, at our house. (We used it quite a bit...) After JP's soccer game, Perry suggested we go to Lowe's to check out front doors, you know, since we have the truck in all. I was in shock! We wandered up and down the isles looking at all of our options, and did a lot of herding the kids around. Ultimately we left without a door, but went back later in the week after we thought about it for a while.
Perry said he had installed a door before and knew what he was doing. I believed him. He had to work the closing shift at work, which was a Friday, so he felt he had plenty of time to get the door in before he had to leave at 1:30. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Eventually he gave up on getting the door level and just installed the door handle, which was also a nightmare. When he left for work, the door closed, but it didn't latch. Thankfully our neighbor was able to come over Saturday morning and help him re-install the door. Phew!
  
Part of me really kind of hated to see my pink door be taken down. I can see how much the kids have grown when standing up in front of it for school pictures. But there will be plenty of opportunity for them to "grow with" the new door. Ain't she a beauty?!
Originally I was going to paint the door a dark grey color and paint over all the pink. After getting the door in and lots of discussions about paint colors with the neighbors, they convinced me to keep it white and paint the garage door white as well. I wasn't sold on the idea but I went with it anyways. I'm quite impressed with how it turned out! Honestly, I hated the white windows with the pink border and it looked even worse when I painted one of the window borders grey so I felt like white was my only option.
 
I didn't realize our trim and garage was an off-white color when we first moved in until I started this post. A little ironic if you ask me. Either way, I have a pretty door and am so glad to have this project crossed off my list. Okay, well I still have to paint three windows on the back of the house...I'm saving that for the spring. I really enjoy being able to see out my front door before I get there too! No more surprises!

1 comment:

Earl Mark said...

As much as I like the new door color with the wreath, you did the right thing with the new door. The new door really gave that house a face lift, making it appear more modern with one change. The glass window is a great touch and instead of replacing the wreath when it wears out.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!