Thursday, April 19, 2012

Skull and Crossbones Cake

I'm happy to report this is my first "girl" cake! I love how it turned out too! A co-worker of mine, who is on maternity leave, sent me a text in panic mode asking if I could make a cake for her daughter's 5th birthday, which was in 2 days. Initially I thought it would be pretty easy to create...and it was! The cake on the other hand....not so easy!

I don't know what it is about me forgetting the parchment paper on the bottom! I made a large 10x14 cake and then it stuck to the bottom so only half came out! I thought I would just "glue" it together but the second half was just stuck in the pan. So my idea of getting a head start on Tuesday was a complete bust. Hunter didn't seem to mind eating the mistake cake!

Her mom sent me a picture of a cute black and purple skull and crossbones, but I knew black was going to be a BIG challenge for me and with the limited time I had, I didn't even want to attempt it! I ended up drawing my own skull and crossbones and then cut them out to trace around on the fondant I used.

I'm not very skilled with frosting cakes so I decided to try my hand at it this go around. I didn't do too bad! I didn't quite make enough frosting, but just enough to get by. More would have been less stressful! And as soon as I finished frosting it, I tipped over my mixer bowl on to the cake...and had to start over. This is when I decided that I was going to need to open a bottle of wine...

Perry came home at 1a for his "dinner" break and found me dancing and singing in the kitchen. Hunter slept right through it on the couch : ) I finished cleaning up my kitchen at 3am and fell immediately asleep! Here's how it turned out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!