Thursday, May 8, 2014

My First Quilt

I visited the farm during spring break at the beginning of April. While I was there, my mom had a few of her quilting magazines out, so I browsed through a few. I mentioned to her that I was thinking about making a quilt that my family could use on picnics. Then she took me upstairs to the quilting loft and pulled out some patterns that she already had. 
 Within a few days of getting home, I went to the quilt store, which is practically across the the street from my house, and bought fabric. By the end of the night, I had everything cut out and ready to sew. 
 And by the end of the week, I had the top almost done.
 When I laid it out on the floor though, I decided it was going to be too small. I wanted it big enough for all of us to fit on it, and so that Perry could lay on it. After another trip to the store, to get more fabric, I was back to sewing on three columns to each row and then two additional rows to the bottom. (Roxy's back leg was originally how wide it was.)
 But once I had the additions sewed together, I realized how uneven it was so I spent another solid week ripping out and re-sewing the first few sections I did so they would line up better. (The left row was about 5 inches shorter than the right row...)
I sent home with Robin when she went to her friends' bridal shower and my mom quilted it for me.
Surprisingly, only a month later, I am happy to say it's *completely* done. Okay not completely. To personalize it a little, we're going to put our hand prints on it, and then have people sign the back when they use it with us. Picnic anyone?
Do you know how hard it was to get this picture? Hunter and JP have been eagerly waiting for it to be done so we can go on a picnic that all they wanted to do was sit on it while I took a picture.
 And then Kiki joined in...
 I seriously have no good pictures of the three of them together. This is how they all turn out. One kid looking, usually it's the baby...
This girl LOVES being outside. Can't believe she'll be *one year* next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!