Friday, February 10, 2012

Part Wreck, Part Progress on JP's Cake

I am happy to say that other than trying to get the fondant to stop sticking to my counter top, I had a pretty stress-free day. I created the fondant yesterday afternoon while the boys were napping, and conveniently just after Perry finished cleaning the kitchen. I've heard a lot of people say that fondant is really hard to use, but I think differently. Yes, I threw a few curse words at it today when I couldn't get it to not stick to my counter, and then to not rip when I picked it up, but I knew at some point it was going to work. It only took...4 tries. 


I used a recipe for marshmallow fondant. Its super yummy and really simple to make! 
Its ingredients are:
1 16oz bag of mini marshmallows
3 tablespoons of water
2 lbs. powdered sugar and optional flavoring

All you do is put the marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl, add the water, and put it into the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir marshmallows making sure it’s all melted, then add your flavoring and powdered sugar to your liking. Knead dough on a powdered sugar surface and keep adding powdered sugar to make dough less sticky and more workableAllow your fondant to set up overnight covered. Before you use, microwave for 30 seconds and knead until smooth and pliable. Click here to go to the website I used.

I've never (knowingly) left mine overnight in the fridge because #1. I never had that kind of time before and #2. I hadn't read that part until just now! Regardless, after I rolled the fondant out for the 4th time, and powder sugared my entire kitchen counter, I finally got the fondant to not stick to the counter. Once I transferred it to the cake and cut off the excess, I was one happy camper! I think it turned out quite nice!


Once covering the cake was done, I was ready for an easier task. The decorations for it were much less stressful! Without giving away what the cake will look like (can't post until tomorrow!) here's a little preview of what's going on top of it.



Making these tools was so much fun! I can't wait until JP see the completed cake. Hunter on the other hand couldn't wait until tomorrow to have cake....


I was SO mad. I turned my back for 2 seconds and he takes a chunk out of the side... I'm still new at fondant so the patch work might look a bit sketchy! Thank goodness I saved what was left of the orange fondant!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!