Sunday, February 19, 2012

"Something Blue" by Emily Giffin


I can officially say that my goal under "Making Time for Myself" is half-way accomplished! I have set out to read a *whopping* four books this year. Not a lot I know. But how many have I read in the past 3 years? Maybe three, but I can only think of two: Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin and Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom (a great read!).


Needless to say, I was thrilled when I finished the book called "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin. It is the sequel to "Something Borrowed" so I felt that I had to read it. I didn't completely enjoy the first one, but it was good enough to make me want to read the second one. Plus, you can't just not read the second book, that's like putting down a book in the middle and not getting to the end!

The second book, "Something Blue" revolved around 30-year old named Darcy, whereas the first book, "Something Borrowed" was told by her best friend Rachel.  Rachel fell in love with Darcy's fiance, Dex in the first book. At the end of "Something Borrowed" Darcy revealed that she was pregnant with Dex's friend's child and the wedding was called off, despite the cheating happening on both sides. The second book tells the story of how Darcy was determined to start a new life for herself in London, living with *temporarily* a guy she had known since the 4th grade, all while preparing to have her first born child as a single mom. She was bound and determined to find the man of her dreams overseas and begin her life anew. In doing so, Darcy realizes that her new doctor boyfriend, who is madly in love with her, is not the person she finds herself to be truly in love with.

It turned out completely different than I had expected, in a good way, I suppose. I really despised Darcy's character in the first book, and thought she deserved what she ended up with- no friends, no man, and a baby to boot! By the end of the second book, she turned into a vulnerable, like-able character. I'm hoping they'll make this one into a movie too, even though "Something Borrowed" received mix reviews in theaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!