Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Hair Cuts and Such

Haircuts. It's one of those necessary things that I hate getting done. I'm so indecisive about my hair though - I want it long, I want it short, I want it long again... I tend to put off cutting my kids' hair more often than I should too. I looked at JP the other day and just thought, "Dang, that kid needs his hair cut." He agreed so off we went that night to trim him up before Easter. 
 On the way over he scrolled through my Pinterest page looking at boy haircuts to give him ideas as to what he wanted. He can be very particular about his hair at times. Remember when he was 3 and styling his hair before leaving for preschool? He knew exactly what he wanted this time, which is the same every time - long on the top, short on the sides.
 Usually I'm the one to cut it, but I took him to get it cut this time. He told her how he wanted it and then critiqued it a bit too, asking for it to be shorter on the sides and to trim up the front a little too. I was so proud of him!
He walked away with a sucker and made me tell dad that I brought the wrong kid home because I couldn't find Jim! He thought that was the funniest joke ever! 

I've been wanting to do something cute to Charlotte's hair for a while now, but after her little hack job on her bangs right after Christmas, I opted to wait until they grew back out to a reasonable length. 
 I bit the bullet today. I love her hair long because I really enjoy braiding it and didn't want to part with it just yet. I just don't like that 10 minutes after I comb her hair, it gets all bunchy and looks scraggly. Her bangs don't help...
Look how long it is! She was so excited after seeing JP's hair cut that she couldn't wait to have hers cut too. Literally bouncing around the house today after I told her the plan!
After the babe I've been babysitting woke up, we scurried over to the mall. I was impressed with her. Lately she's been all about needing mom to the point of meltdowns. We had a mini-meltdown when we arrived at the salon because she wanted to sit in the first chair, instead of the second but once we agreed that Booties could sit with her, she was good. (That kittie of hers goes EVERYWHERE with her. I rather that than her blanket!)
 Before we left the mall we stopped to play on the train for a few minutes and then went to see grandma at work for couple minutes. She was so excited to show off her hair cut! But if I was this adorable, I would want to show it off too!
 #BootiesLikesSwingingToo
Gahh! I can't get enough of her smile! 

And then there is Hunter who is still determined to grow his hair out. He only wavers when Aunt Bobby is around.
 This was a couple months ago after I combed it out. He really wants it straight but he doesn't understand curly hair.
He's also wore his hair in a pony tail to school. It received rave reviews from his friends and teachers. He even had an older kid put it back in when it fell out. Die hard. I love it though.
Since its getting really long, I'm requiring him to "do" it in the morning before school. He hates it. But if he wants long hair, he has to keep it tidy. Or as tidy as it can be with curly hair. 

Here's a few other things that have been happening around here the last few days:
 We found the original Booties! Charlotte spent the night with Grandma in February and came back with the little kittie named Booties. Booties went every where with her until she lost it. It was a rough few days. We happened to be at JoAnn's and found a "new" Booties and bigger one then started going every where with Charlotte. On Saturday when I made up the guest room bed, baby Booties was found and Charlotte had never been more confused before in her life. I don't think she noticed the difference between the two until she was holding them both. All she could say was, "Booties had a baby!" We've since misplaced Mama Booties, and it only took 2 days. 
 We also finally got out internet line buried. It was hooked up in November and since then we've had an orange cord strung across the back yard. Hunter was out there helping them bury it. He loved every minute of it and was excited to be able to keep their unneeded parts, like tubing and wire. 
We also spent the other evening doing a little bit of yoga. JP has always loved doing tree pose so he was sure to do that one often. Charlotte ended almost every pose in a somersault. And Hunter finished each pose by falling over, just because. 
We also went out for ice cream today after we finished up parent-teacher conferences. I don't want brag but our little JP is a rock star. I knew that already but his teacher told us if you were to add up each kindergartner's scores for math, reading words per minutes, naming letters per minute, or whatever they were all scored on, JP's were the highest, by more than just a few. Not just the kids in his class, but in all of the four classes. #numberone I just love that kid! The other day there was a group of kids that finished something before the others so they were able to spend the last five minutes drawing math problems on their dry erase boards. Things like 1+2=3 kind of things. His teacher walked by and saw 20x20=400 and had to tell him to focus on addition and subtraction. Hahaha! Leave it to JP! I think knowing the answer to that math problem makes him feel like the smartest kid in the world. #itsmemorized 

Hunter has also come a long way since the beginning of the year. He still has a hard time listening and paying attention, but he's right where he needs to be in terms of learning. His teacher is also impressed with his writing skills - using correct spacing, capitalization and punctuation. Lots of kids in his class struggle with that. He's also really good at math, as long as it doesn't involve word problems. He hates reading them. His reading had improved tremendously over the last few months too!

Charlotte keeps busy coloring, doing puzzles and drawing circles. She loves circles! She's got a 12 piece puzzle that she'll put together 5 or 6 times before putting it away. She's a smart one too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!