Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Camping Trip to Placid Lake

I confess, sometimes I'm really bad about keeping up to date. I'm warning you now, this is a looong one, but at least I moved the pictures around to entertain you a bit! Anyways, two weekends ago we took a little camping trip to Placid Lake, about 40 miles from home. We seriously need to get out more. There is so much to do in a 50 mile radius of our house... One of our wedding gifts from Perry's parents was a huge 8 person tent that we hadn't used since we received it. *Working opposite schedules sucked* 

Like I mentioned in my previous post about camping, Perry's family really enjoys camping. What I didn't mention what that I don't really enjoy camping. I recall camping maybe 4 times when I was younger. Add a couple more times if you count sleeping in the backyard. Our family had a large 10 person tent, that was awesome, but we hardly used, especially once we got a camper with two sets of bunk beds. If I remember correctly that tent had its final hoorah when Robin and her friend camped out in the backyard for one of her birthdays...in May...and they were snow on so the tent collapsed. Anyways, I'm not fond of camping, but I went regardless.

Like normal, we left once Perry arrived home from work. Grabbed a bite to eat on the way out of town. Then it started to rain. I'm thinking, "Seriously? Can't we go tomorrow?" Perry could clearly read my mind and reassured me that just because it's raining here doesn't mean it will be raining where we're camping. Yeah yeah...okay. He was semi-right.

We arrived at our campsite around 7:30 and began setting up the tent we had yet to use. By we, I mean Perry and John. Luckily Betty was there to read the directions, even if they didn't want them!

Though the boys were super excited about sleeping in a tent, they were able to control themselves long enough to help Grandpa John by holding the stakes for him. 

Here's our mansion, mostly set up. It's  like two 4-people tents put together. There's a zippered wall between the two "rooms." Just about as soon as it was completely set-up, it started sprinkling. Like I said, he was semi-right about the rain. Dry when we arrived.
 Yes, the infant baby, Charlotte, came along too. I was paranoid she was going to freeze to death so I bundled her up, excessively. I want to say the temperature reached a low of 45 by early the next morning. Too cold for a baby. That's my opinion, but I couldn't leave her at home... 

Perry, Hunter, and JP spent the rest of the evening at Grandma & Grandpa's camp spot roasting hotdogs before bed, in the down pouring rain. My guess is they were under the awning of the camper. Charlotte and I hung out in the tent, while it rained. She was a little fussy and so was I. It was raining. Just kidding. It was storming, with lightening and thunder. By the time the boys made it to bed, they were so exhausted. I was slightly paranoid they might freeze to death as well, so I made Perry round up a blanket to put over their sleeping bags.

Meanwhile...the storm went on, raining pouring and all, until about 1am. I know this because I could hardly sleep, and I had cell service. Unfortunately for Perry, he woke up in the morning to find his pillow soaking wet from an apparent leak. (I smiled on the inside. That's what you get for making us camp in the rain!) I am happy to report no one froze to death. I did have doubts about myself as well. When was the last time you breastfed a baby at 4:00am, outside, when it's 40-something degrees out? You lift your shirt up and tell me it's not cold! I digress...
After breakfast the next morning, the plan was to take the back roads to Jocko Lake, about 20 miles from our camp spot, to go fishing. We stopped about two miles up the road at the Placid Lake State Park campgrounds and found out that even if we did make it to Jocko Lake, we wouldn't be able to set foot on the land because it was on the reservation. We continued on anyways. For about 45 minutes, through the backwoods, going about 20 mph. Because we hadn't arrived at the lake yet, we were going to turn around but instead turned on a side road called "Second Creek" and drove down it for a little ways. I just pulled up a map on Google to see how much further we had to go. It looked like maybe 3 more miles until we had reached Upper Jocko Lake...and we had turned around. Go figure. 

By the time we arrived back at our campsite, I was exhausted. I fed Charli and fell asleep listening to Hunter and JP playing in the creek with Grandma. Charlotte and I woke up an hour later to two little boys crying outside the tent. Grandma slipped and fell in the creek all while pulling Hunter and JP in with her. I had two soaking wet, sobbing boys on my hands. I helped them dry off and just as we finished Perry arrived back from his afternoon "hunting" trip, and was carrying a bowl full of crawdads.

And then they were off to the creek again to look for more with him.


 Perry was like a kid in a candy store every time he caught one. 
 Ahh...aren't they handsome?

 Like I said, I just finished drying them off before they headed back down to the creek...JP was literally dumping water on his head, and then complained about being cold?

 My boys with their loot. Though you can't see in the bowl, there is probably 25-30 crawdads in there. Perry was adamant about cooking and eating them. I've never eaten them before, and I surprisingly enjoyed them! They tasted like shrimp!

 Pardon my hair. I'm on another jeep ride into town going about 45 mph on the highway so we could have ice cream. Charli looks a little scared...

Hunter LOVED sitting in the front with Grandma! After a long wait in line for wonderful tasting ice cream, we headed back to camp.
 Look who passed out in daddy's arms?! I don't recall the last time JP or Hunter fell asleep like that!
 Isn't that just too cute?!
 Before we left town, John put the top up on the jeep, just in case it rained. The clouds looked pretty threatening. Luckily, it didn't rain though...
 Such a big girl!
 After a nice breakfast Sunday morning, everyone was ready to go home. I was ready to shower! Perry and I loaded up our car and took down the tent before breakfast was served, all while the boys were off playing in the dirt, or doing what boys do I suppose. After breakfast, JP inquired about his blanket, so I told him we better go check in the tent. He excitedly ran the 30 yards or so to where the front door to our tent would have been, look up astounded, and calmly asked where the tent went. I told him it must have just disappeared, in which he nearly started bawling because he forgot his blanket inside...Perfect opportunity to wean him from his blanket right? That's what I thought too, then he found it in the car the next day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!