Friday, August 23, 2013

Chicken Enchiladas

I somehow ended up with a surplus of tortillas in our pantry so again on the Mexican theme, we had Chicken Enchiladas for dinner tonight. This is definitely one of Perry's *favorite* meals. 
Before I get to the good stuff, let me just remind you how JP cracks me up. As I was cooking the chicken, Hunter came into the kitchen and grabbed a pair of tongs off the counter and asked what they were. I answered, "They're tongs. I'm going to use them to get the chicken out of the pot so I don't burn my hand." Stupid me. I said the word "chicken" loud enough for JP to hear me, who was watching TV in the living room. Of course I got the usual, "Ugh!" *with his head thrown back into the air* "I don't like chicken!" Moms are allow to lie a little when it comes to food, right? Back me up here... "We're not having chicken." To which he retorts "Yes we are, I can smell it." "No, you just smell cheese." "Oh, okay." And that was that, and guess who ate his dinner, AND had seconds? JP. 

On to the recipe....

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts or approximately 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken
1 10oz can of enchilada sauce
1 can of Progresso Chicken and Cheese Enchilada soup
2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I've substituted with cheddar and still tastes wonderful!)
green onions
tortillas of your choosing

1. Cook chicken. (Or shred left over cooked chicken if you have some.) You can do this however you choose, but I prefer to boil mine. After cooling, shred chicken with a fork.
*For those of you with a Kitchen Aide mixer, I've got a shortcut for you! Once the chicken is done cooking, throw it in your mixer for about a minute or so and you'll have perfectly shredded chicken in half the time!*
*Note: the chicken must be warm or you'll wreck your mixer! And put the lock on.*
2. Mix soup with the enchilada sauce and pour 1 cup of the mixture into an ungreased 11x7 baking dish.
3. Mix about 1 cup of the soup mixture with the shredded chicken and 1 cup of cheese.
4. Warm your tortillas and fill with approximately 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture. *We normally use the "big" tortillas and can fit 6 rolls in the dish. If you use smaller tortillas, you could lessen the filling and use more tortillas*
5. Fold up tortillas and place seam side down in the baking dish. 
6. Cover tortillas with the remaining soup mixture, followed by 1 cup of cheese and your desired about of green onions.
7. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly. 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!