Saturday, December 28, 2013

Our First Time Ice Skating

Another activity the boys were SUPER excited to do was to go ice skating. I've always wanted to take them, but two little boys with one momma just sounded like a disaster! The day after Christmas we headed into town for open skate at the local rink and it wasn't too busy, which was super nice!
I was impressed as to how quickly Hunter became used to walking in his skates. In a few short moments after getting his skates on, he was wandering around. JP needed a little help, but before we left he was pacing around too. 
Aunt Em was so excited to take the boys skating! I have never seen these before, but the rink had these metal bars young skaters could push around to help them with their balance. In retrospect, a shorter red one (like to the left of Emilienne) might have worked better for at least JP, who would often slip and hit his face or chin on the blue bar.
He was a trooper regardless though! Both boys took multiple breaks to have hot chocolate. Who wouldn't break for hot chocolate though?!
 Hunter did amazing after he gained more confidence! Aunt Em, Uncle Colin, Perry and I all took turns holding the boys' hands while ice skating. At one point Hunter let go of Aunt Em and me and started running down the ice on the tips of his skates. I'm surprised he didn't immediately fall!
 JP did pretty good too! He had a few brave moments himself where he would either stop holding hands or let go of the bar he was pushing around. 
I think Hunter overly enjoyed holding hands with people because then he was "free" to swerve around with noodle legs, as well as jump over every line. 
When the boys started getting riskier, Uncle Colin found them a couple helmets to wear. Thank goodness! 
Also skating with us at the rink were Colin's parents, his brother and niece. I could tell little Adeline had a lot of fun too! Perry and I did our fair share of skating too! I hadn't been skating for about 6 years and was pretty wobbly myself...luckily I had plenty of opportunities to push kids around with the blue bars...! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!