Thursday, December 5, 2013

Let's Play Go Fish

We've recently attempted to play the card game, Go Fish, with Hunter and JP. I thought it was about time we taught them how to play, since they, for the most part, know their numbers and can match cards. We bought a special deck of cards for Hunter for his birthday, which in case you're interested, can be found here. Here's what transpired when he opened it:

H - *excitement gasp* What is it?
M - It's a deck of cards to play Go Fish.
H - *proceeds to open the deck and look through them*
J - We can play Go Fish, or Go Shark, or Go Octopus, or Go Jellyfish, or Go Whale...
M - Or we could just play Go Fish.
J - Or we could play Go Seahorse.

A few days later we laid down on the floor together to play Go Fish Shark. This was excruciatingly hard for both Perry and I. Perry did opt out of actually playing and *volunteered* to be on JP's team, since holding the cards, without showing anyone, was a huge problem for him. I seriously need to set up a camera one of these times while we play. Here's a sample of what happens.

M - Okay, Hunter you start. Ask someone for a card.
H - Do you have a 21?
P - There isn't a 21 in the deck. You have to have the card in your hand to ask for it.
H - Do you have the jellyfish?
M - Who are you asking?
H - Jimmer Skipper.
Mom and Dad refrain from laughter.
J - Okay. Let me check here. What number is it?
H - It's a 21.
M - *Looks at card* That's an 11.
H - Do you have an 11?
J - Okay. Let me check. 2...3..5..9...10...12. No I don't have one. Go Shark.
H - *Draws from the deck* OOO I GOT A 2!!
M - Hunter you can't tell everyone what you just got. Put it in you hand. And if it matches one that is already in your hand, put them together. Jim, your turn. Ask someone for a card.
P - Jim, ask Hunter for this one.
J - *Ignores Dad* Hunter do you have an octopus? (His favorite card.)
H - Let me check. *Proceeds to lay his cards face up on the floor before mom stops him* What number is it?
J - Uh let me check....I don't know.
P - Jim you don't even have an 8 in your hand.
J - Hunter, do you have a 3?
H - Nope. Go Whale.
M - My turn. Jim, do you have a 6? It has a stingray on it.
J - Uh let me check....2...3...5
P - Jim you can't say your cards out loud or everyone will know what you have.
M - So look again, do you have a 6?
J - Let me check ....9...10...12. Uh. Nope. Go Seahorse.
M - Hunter, your turn ask someone for a card.
H - Do you have a 5?
M - Who are you asking?
H - Mommy.
M - No, I don't have a 5. Go
J - I HAVE ONE!!! HERE!!
P - Shhh! Keep that one in your hand - Hunter asked mom for 5 not you. How about you ask Hunter for a 5 now since it's your turn.
J - Mom do you have a 5?
M - *Hand smacks forehead*

Somehow we have now made it through 4 games of Go "Whatever Sea Creature You Want" and it looks like they still have plenty to learn. Mostly strategy. It is painfully hard for me to not win every time because at some point I have to ask for the card that will give me sets or the game will never end...unless I flash my cards to JP's helper... I am surprised as to how well JP is doing with his numbers though. With more practice they'll be masters...someday. And in the meantime I'm just glad they enjoy playing with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!