Monday, October 21, 2013

Ghostly Bananas and Caterpillars

Recently JP had his turn to be the line leader and snack bringer at school. He had been waiting and waiting and waiting for his turn. Because he goes to school twice a week, instead of three times, he gets to lead his classmates around and bring snacks both days. 

Since Halloween is nearing (and costumes are still in progress...) I sent him to school with some Halloween themed treats.  On Tuesday he brought Ghostly Bananas. They were so easy to make that JP helped with them. 
Slice a banana in half, add some mini chocolate chips for the eyes, and a large chocolate chip for the mouth. I'm just glad there is only 11 in his class otherwise I would have had to find a bigger container! We had no problem with them browning either since they were cover as soon as they were finished. They were a huge hit with all the kiddos. And the teacher too, since they were a healthy snack!
On Thursday he brought these little cuties. Caterpillars made from grapes. These were a huge hit too! Again, easiest enough to make that JP was able to help. (The top one is his.) I used some sucker sticker that I had in my cake stash and threaded the grapes on. Then I whipped up a little bit of frosting from scratch and piped on two dots for the mini chocolate chips to stick to. And wah-la! If I were to make them again, I would use wooden sticks as the sucker stick became a little flimsy, but despite that, they were probably safer than wooden spears...!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!