Monday, October 28, 2013

A Weekend "Doing All The Hard Work"

The last few days around here have been pretty eventful. It's made for some pretty long days. But let me rewind and tell a little story first. I think it starts back when we were in Whitefish taking out the pond at the house. 
Maybe it was Grandpa or maybe it was Grandma, maybe even dad? Someone had told Hunter and JP there was going to be "a lot of hard work" and it was going to make for a long day. Since then they've been throwing around the phrase "doing all the hard work" or something similar. 
For example, JP and I drove past a construction site and he exclaimed, "Look Mom! They're doing all the hard work!" Or while cleaning up toys in the playroom, Hunter will nonchalantly say, "Yeah, well I'm doing all the hard work." But lately everything has been tagged as "hard work." Taking their laundry to the laundry room just down the hall, bringing their towels back to the bathroom, putting their socks on...Needless to say, we did a lot of hard work this weekend.

Saturday morning Perry took Hunter and JP to the cabin to start clearing trees, which they fell a few weeks ago. Charlotte and I, however, joined Papa Craig for a Griz football game. I hadn't been to one since Hunter was maybe 11 months old? Basically 4 years. 
 We had decent seats. I missed getting seats in the North End Zone by about a minute. But, I think these were better because we didn't have to look into the sun, and since we were sitting in the sun, we weren't cold at all. Yay!
Charlotte attended her first Griz football game, and slept through half of it. Though I thought she would sleep more. But she was still a good little girl and hardly fussed at all. The outcome of the game was irrelevant.

After the game, Charlotte and I met up with the rest of the family for a hot dog roast at the cabin with Grandma while Papa Craig headed home. After breakfast Sunday morning, everyone started on "all the hard work" while I fussed about with Charli. Still trying to get rid of her diaper rash so she was a little fussy. But as soon as she was napping, I jumped in and helped haul wood around the yard. 
 We gathered branched and sticks and hauled them off to the burn pile. (Here's JP doing hard work.)
 We made trip after trip hauling logs.
 Again, see boys "doing all the hard work."
Here's what we accomplished in a day's work. For the most part there was nothing here to begin the day with. The first part of the afternoon we hauled the logs here and unloaded them. We filled the left section up between the two trees, and then added a few rows in front. In the later afternoon, Perry split wood with his ax, I picked it up and loaded it into the trailer, then unloaded it into the right section between the trees. Other than one layer of logs on the ground, that's all the split wood I loaded and stacked. I felt like I was doing all the hard work, but it was Perry swinging the ax to chop all that wood...That's a lot of chopping for a day's work! And a lot of hard work done by all! 
You can't hear them very well, but the boys were back there cheering. "Yeah! Good one!" That video was taken when he began chopping. When we stopped for dinner, the wood pile was down from two piles to one pile about 2-3 logs high I believe. Lots of chopping!
I'm feeling it today too! While carrying some logs in my arms, one rolled and a limb from it scratched my neck up and later while loading wood, I dropped one, somehow, onto the back of my calve. It scratched it up nicely too and as of a day later, the entire back of my leg is black and blue. I'll spare you a picture, but it makes squatting very painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!