Saturday, January 21, 2012

Melted Plastic in My Stove

Just the other day, I preheated the oven as Perry prepared tuna melts for dinner. I opened the oven to put them in, and what did I find? A credit card that belonged to the cash register toy Nanny gave the boys for Christmas...melted. I do believe I screamed. Perry acted quickly and scooped the mess out with a spatula. However the burned plastic smell still remained. And you could still see where the plastic was.

My goal for today: Clean up the plastic in the oven. How many times in the past 4 days did I turn the oven on forgetting? Too many. Then my house would stink of burnt plastic all over again...

I first began by using a razor to scrape it off the bottom. Didn't work. Probably because the blade was small. I heated the oven for a couple minutes to loosen the gunk and then I tried scrubbing at with a rag. Clearly that didn't work. I was just going to turn my oven to the self-clean, but that takes 4 hours, and I didn't think it was completely necessary. Instead I turned it to broil and let it sit for about 40 minutes. It turned all the plastic black, which made me a little nervous. After it cooled down for a bit, I scrubbed at it again with my rag. Still no luck. For whatever reason, I completely forgot about our scouring pads under the sink. Out they came and all my burnt spots were scrubbed away with ease. YAY! My oven looks brand new now!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!