Sunday, January 8, 2012

Too Much Television

#8. Too Much Television

I read or heard somewhere that American's, on average watch about 5 1/2 hours of television each day! Which I find astounding, but believable at  the same time. I want to know where they can find the time! I have 3 tv shows that I watch regularly. Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives (and let me just say I hate how the series is ending) and Pan Am. That puts me at about 3 per week. And then plus the occasional movie I watch with my husband. We don't have DirecTV or a Satellite or the like, so no cable for us! With that said, we get about 8 channels, 2 of which are PBS. Unfortunately for me, none of the other 6 are ABC. So I'm force to watch my shows online whenever I have a chance, which actually works out better for me anyways! I can pause it and not miss a thing!

In all honesty though, if I could, I would probably just get rid of our TV. I hardly ever watch it. Granted, Perry has binders and binders of movies that we watch occasionally, but I still would opt to just get rid of it. I'm tired (already) of the boys wanting to watch movies, over and over and over, when they could have more fun outside in their sandbox or swing set. Even in January. Not to mention, save the DVDs from scratches!

The boys love to watch Elmo and Word World. I don't mind them watching here and there, I just don't watch them to get "addicted" to it. I see so many little kids sitting around on their video games and watching TV. Its really a sad thing when these activities are chosen over the more active ones. Especially with the childhood obesity rates Americans are facing. Not the lifestyle I want my boys to live. But like many things, too much of a good thing is a bad thing. I do, however, believe that the TV is a great learning tool, if used wisely. Needless to say, our TV isn't going anywhere, anytime soon though....

4 comments:

Robin Patrick said...

You forgot a very important video the boys like :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sadie! I love your cute blog and am happy to be your newest follower from bloggy moms!

Have a great Sunday!

http://www.yummymummykitchen.com

cris said...

I think that people do watch a lot of TV more than what should be allowed. Anyway Cute Blog! Hey I am a new follower! please stop by and check me out, www.armytankerswife.com

Cris

momto8 said...

I gave up TV many yrs ago..never looked back and I never missed a thing..just freed up a lot of time for me to do other things! None of my kids watch tv...well ESPN and my 11 yr old watched the history channel occassionally..

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Please leave me a comment - I love hearing from my readers!